sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Altima: I have a 2003 Nissan Altima. The AC blows cold air

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima. The AC blows cold air for about 30 mins. After that the fan sort of cuts off. Even though you can hear the blower but no air is coming out. The car eventually gets hot.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you still hear the blower motor but there is no airflow and the problem only happens on a/c then most likely the evaporator is freezing up. It could be an evaporator temperature sensor issue but a more common cause would be condensation. If the heater box drain is restricted then the moisture won't be able to leave the heater box and it will start to collect on the evaporator and freeze. Ice will build up until it blocks airflow. IF the a/c is shut off then the ice will melt and airflow will return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have searched the internet and I have not been able to find out what a "heater Box" and a "heater box drain" is? Can you please elaborate? Where can I find it on my vehicle so that I can unclog it.
A heater box is the box behind the dash that houses the evaporator, heater core, and doors.
The condensation drain is a tube that extends from the heater box through the firewall. You may be able to see it from the engine compartment or you may need to be underneath and looking at the firewall from the bottom side.