Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Frontier: Jay. Have a 99 frontier with 3.3 that has

Customer Question

Hello Jay. Have a 99 frontier with 3.3 that has no spark and p0340 code. Have replace crankshaft sensor and checked for voltages at distributor. Have che ked fuses and realys. Took distributor from anothe running 3.3 truck and still no spark when in the truck. Should I be testing wiring harness?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
does the distributor turn[the rotor] with the engine?
how and when did this problem first begin?
tell me all you can
thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your Request.
The P0340 code is not a Crank Sensor code. That is a Cam Sensor code. The Cam Sensor for your year truck is built into the Distributor. The way the Cam Sensor works is there is a Optical Light that flashes and pulses to a pick up ring. If the light goes out and can't pulse, you can get this code, as well as if the signal plate falls apart. It's fairly common as these trucks as they get older for the Distributor to go. So to resolve this you will need to replace the distributor it's self as a assembly to resolve your issue. I recommend you turn the engine to TDC, so when you drop the new distributor in, the rotor of the distributor would be pointed to number 1 on the cap. Once you put it in, then you will need a timing light to set it to 14 degree's above top dead center.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!