Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

I have a 1993 Nissan 2.4 hardbody that cranks, and will only

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Nissan 2.4 hardbody that cranks, and will only occasionally start. When it does start it runs very rough. Distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, and all wires replaced. It still acts exactly the same as before I replaced all these parts. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also verified I have spark, fuel, and oxygen. When it does start, it sounds like it's missing.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
It sounds like the engine is out of time, I would check to see if the timing chain has slipped by removing the valve cover and seeing how loose the chain is. Also it is common for the 2.4 engines timing chain guides to wear and break making the chain sloppy and slip. With the valve cover off you should be able to get a good look down the front and see if the chain is loose. Sometimes when the guides break the chain can actually grind against the inside of the front cover behind the water pump and cause a coolant leak into the crank case
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Have you been able to take a look at the timing chain yet