Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Frontier: how do i get the a/c Belt free to replace it it is

Customer Question

how do i get the a/c Belt free to replace it it is loose now . it is a 2001 frontier Nissan king cab
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
The a/c belt on the 2.4 engine can be difficult to remove even when the adjustment pulley is all the way loose because of the thickness of the belt, I usually turn the engine over by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and walk the belt off the a/c compressor as I turn the engine clock wise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand your response I am not sure how that is going to work getting it by other belts etc.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I assumed you had already taken the alternator belt and the power steering belt off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no that is a lot of work is that all necessary
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes you have to get the other belts off first because the a/c belt is the one closest to the engine, its really not that much work the power steering is the easiest just a lock nut and and adjuster bolt, then the alternator has a 12 mm lock nut and adjuster bolt on the side then you just need to feed them past the fan blades to get them out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well i am worn out and stressed out with this today so I will try your advice over the weekend
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Okay let me know how you do I may be able to provide a diagram or instructions for replacing the belts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks I will
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Here is the best picture I can come up with for the drive belts
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any luck with the belt? Did the diagram help ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the belts off and got the a/c belt on --however in a short period of drive time I discovered the a/c belt had got out of the pulley zone and had flipped over showing the teeth of the belt. I then got under the truck and put the belt back on the pulleys slots and tightened it up so very little play in the belt. when I started the truck the belt immediately broke. so i am back to square1
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that, but at least your getting some good experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes you are right - where should I go from here? try it again or take it to a local shop?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Well for me I would just do it again, but if your tired of dealing with it, it may be better to take to a shop. One thing I do when I replace the belts is turn the engine over by hand to make sure they are seated into the V groove of the pulleys before I start the engine, I have made plenty of mistakes with belts I've had them half way on and started the engine and had them shred in seconds