Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: My 2006 Nissan altima 2.5 will turn over all day but

Customer Question

My 2006 Nissan altima 2.5 will turn over all day but not fire. I changed both the cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor. All spark plugs and spark plugs boots have been recently change . Also the starter has been changed
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Is the security light on solid or flashing when you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It blinks until I turn the key on. Then it goes off and doesn't blink or stay on either.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this is good, means we have a chance.Does the car have spark when you crank it over? Have you checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I check for spark?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Take one of the coils off, then set it so the end of the boot is next to something metal, one of the bolts on the engine will work, then crank the engine, you should see spark jump from the end of the coil to the metal.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does have spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so it would seem we are lacking fuel.Try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body or carb cleaner, then crank the engine and see if it spudders until it runs out of fuel.Let me know.Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Smells strongly of fuel when trying to turn it over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still nothing with starter fluid
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
O7k, try this, Hold the pedal all the way down to the floor and crank the engine in 30 second spurts 6-7 times, then try holding it at 3/4 down and crank the same way 4-5 times and see if she tries to come to life.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It tries to crank up with the pedal 3/4 pressed
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I would ask then that you unplug the mass air flow sensr and try the same procedure again. Make sure your duct work is connected to the throttle.Let me knwo. We ARE gaining on it from the sounds of things!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same as prior. Starting to smell as of melting pkastic. Acts like it wants to start but just isn't quite there
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it sounds to me that it's flooded. Why I can't be sure. I suggest pulling the spark plugs out and letting the engine sit a few hours as is. This will allow the fuel to evaporate, then put the plugs back in and try starting again without touching the gas. This should start it. If it doesn't start, remove the up stream O2 sensor, the one on the exhaust manifold and crank the engine. If the converter is plugged up it might cause this same situation. Removing the O2 sensor will give the exhaust a place to go and might allow the engine to start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took spark plugs out overnight. Placed them back. Tried starting the car. Still the same thing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I am gonna have to ask you to pull that top O2 sensor out and see if it will then finally start. This sensor is on top of the converter or in the manifold. Since it won't start on the starting fluid, I do not think fuel is the issue.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no fire
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any coolant usage or oil usage on the car prior to this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Always has adequate amounts.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I am out of ideas for you. I am going to open your question back up. Don't reply or rate as it will lock the question back to me. I am showing you still have time left on this chat so it should be ok.Sorry I was unable to assist you with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wife told me she had to add coolant last week.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** here. I'm happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
I noticed in your Question you mentioned you changed the Cam and Crank Sensor. Where did you get the part from that you installed?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got them from o riely auto parts
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. before I get into After Market Electrical parts, did you have a code for either the cam or crank sensor? Is that why you replaced them? Do you have the original Sensors still?
Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still have original sensors. Did not get a code. Looked at countless forums about the problems I was having and figured my car fell into the same category.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
ok..
Have you scanned the car for any codes? Also can you see if your old Cam Sensors have this logo on them?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sensors I took off had a metal housing. They didn't have a logo on them.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Ok...what about codes? Do you know if you have any?