Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Pathfinder SE: , my 2003 PathfinderSE won't start...won't

Customer Question

Hi, my 2003 PathfinderSE won't start...won't even crank...when I try to start it the dash lights up, but there is no click or noise...any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my only vehicle & I need it to take my kids to Dr's appts...that's why I considered the question urgent.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
This sounds like a battery issue. If you at the car now, pop the hood and try to wiggle the battery terminals and see if they move.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go & check them...if they do/or do not wiggle....what next? I don't have internet access outside
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
if they wiggle then the loose terminal could be all that's wrong. Simply snug it up and see if it starts.
If they are tight and don't budge then try a jumper pack or jumper cables to jump start the car if you can.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go check it out &let you know...
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't budge...& nobody's around to use jumper cables....the battery seems ok... the dash lights etc light up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey there sorry got tied up.
Still need to find a way to jump the vehicle, because the gauge lights don't tell us much since they run off such a low voltage and the starter requires a high amperage draw to turn the engine.
Do the headlights work? And do they dim when you crank turn the key to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the headlights work & no they don't dim at all when I try to start it (still won't crank...just silence)
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Other than jumping the battery the other possibilities will require a test light or volt meter, do you have either and are you handy enough to perform electrical tests? Let me know and I can walk you through them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The jump was a no-go....didn't change a thing.......I had to have it towed to a shop...& guess what ?!? They just called & said it started right up 5 or 6 times in a row once they got it off the towtruck.....Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Diagnostic guy is gonna' check it out....any ides what it likely is?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Well it's hard to say exactly what's going on without testing the circuit with a voltmeter, but I can give you a few possibilities.
Since the vehicle was not cranking at all then it could be from the ignition switch having a bad contact or it could be from a loose connection at the starter motor. (had one of those yesterday)
lastly it could be an issue with the park/neutral switch but that's far less common.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm.....they called me, when they got it off the towtruck it started tight up....then again 5 or 6 times in a row...They checked the battery, alternator & starter (all ok) & drove it.....said no "driveability" issues...& brought it back to me....charged me for the tow in & diagnostic fee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinkng you might have hit it w/ the not so common park/neutral switch??
Any other possibilities?? If I were your daughter/sister/wife what would you recommend?PS-Thanks for all of this, I don't know who else to ask!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
**PS-Thanks for all of >your help with this< I don't know who else to ask!**
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey, sorry for the delay.
Ideally I'd wait till it happens again if it were mine and then simulate a PNP signal at the IPDM or test for it with a meter while moving the shifter. Granted if your not too mechanically inclined or driving the vehicle that could be difficult.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if/when it happens again what should I say to the shop/mechanic?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If you accept my offer to exchange emails I can email you a diagram Monday with an explanation for the mechanic.