Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Xterra: , I have a 2000 Xterra N/A, about 200k miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Xterra N/A, about 200k miles. Throwing the P0325 (knock sensor code). Starts fine when cold, but after warming up, shutting off, it won't start(kicks over but doesn't start). I'm wondering if these symptoms are indicative of a back knock sensor, or am I getting the knock sensor code because of something else wrong in the ignition system?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This issue is not caused by the knock sensor, is the check engine light coming on when the engine is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I recently changed the Air intake temp sensor, had a code for that as well. The check engine light isn't currently on, only reason I saw the P0325 code was because the temp sensor fault triggered the check engine light, so i pulled the codes.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is exactly true.Do you know or have you checked for spark when it won't start after warm up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't thought to. Once it is warmed up and I try to re-start, it will sometimes start, and idle is very rough and it stalls. I assumed it was getting spark.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that would mean it is getting spark when it does start, but when it's not starting we need to know what's missing.I would like to have you unplug the mass air flow sensor when it won't start and see if it will start and idle on it's own. It will turn the check engine light on so don't be alarmed. You also will not be able to rev the engine past 2500 rpms, but if it does start it will indicate a problem with the maf sensor. Give it a try when you can and let me know.We can take it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried this, when the truck wouldn't start. with the MAF unplugged, it wouldn't turn over at all. Unplugging it made a harder attempted start, plugging it back in, it started up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, when it will not start, I need you to check for spark or lack of and let me know.