Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Rouge: 2008 Nissan Rogue. At 2,600rpm(sometimes 2,800rpm) while

Customer Question

2008 Nissan Rogue. At 2,600rpm(sometimes 2,800rpm) while driving under load there is always a buzz from the engine compartment. This is not a heat shield. It sounds like a piezo buzzer. What could this noise be? It does not happen when the car is not moving(I've already tested all stand still scenarios.)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
Is the buzz kind of high pitched? almost like a buzzing chirping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds a lot like the video below. The buzz will happen as long as I can hold the rpm's steady on 2,800.
https://youtu.be/ozoLuPUuAMw?t=220
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hmm that's really peculiar to be honest.
I have seen sounds like that in the dash area from a sonar fault on models with back-up sensors, but CVT noises are generally more of a hum, chirp, or whining sound.
Now one thing I have seen make a similar sound is timing chain issues, but they generally are more of a rattle or whine themselves. I have heard guides make a buzz though. Now saying that, that was on a different model as well. Timing chain issues on these rogues are pretty uncommon overall also.
Noises can sometimes be a bit difficult over the net, but this specific one especially so because of the type of noise your getting. It's just uncommon. It could also be something much less serious like a pulley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't believe that this is anything mechanical. A mechanical noise is going to have a range of RPM where the noise is happening and is often erratic. This is always the same and on one very specfic rpm.
A bit more detail is that it was always at 2,600rpm then after changing the before cat O2 sensor the buzz changed to 2,800rpm.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
yea, that's not something I am familiar with.
Let me open this up to other experts who may be able to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jake, it sill looks like this question is assigned to you. Could you release this so somebody else can look at it? Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will try and take a shot at your issue, First I may ask some questions that sound irrelevant so please don't get offended.I would like to know if you have had all the recalls done on the car, there is one that if for a noise from the CVT that requires a reprogram of the ECM and the TCM. also How long has it been since the last oil and filter change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last oil change was about 2k miles ago.
I've never heard about a cvt recall, which I have looked for. Do you have a recall number or site link?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I can post the entire bulletin for the recall, your car may or may not apply to the recall if you bring your car to the dealer they will be able to look up weather or not your car applies and they will be able to take care of any other recalls that it might need. On the oil change I was curious because i have seen where going too long between oil changes can make the oil filter bypass valve buzz like that at a higher rpm and sometimes at idle also some after market oil filters can have a relief valve that will do that. Since this noise happens at a certain rpm it might be from possibly the alternator or the water pump. unfortunately it seems you have to drive the car to get it to happen. if you can do it on a short drive and be careful not to let the engine overheat you could try driving it with the serpentine belt off and if the noise doesn't happen then we would have an area to look for the noise but you have to be very careful it doesn't over heat and there would be no power steering
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
here is the recall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll call the dealership for an appt. I'll get back to you when I hear from them. I'm not sure it's that's it though. This generally only happens at highway speeds.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good, you may want to have a tech go for a ride with you so he can experience the noise