Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Xterra: 2006 Nissan xterra. was rearended on the drivers

Customer Question

2006 Nissan xterra. was rearended on the drivers rear. they replaced the drivers rear quarter panel and hatch. approx 5500 in repairs. The issue is the "check engine" light is on and wasnt prior to accident. talked to autoshop and they show it on when they received vehicle but was not on prior to accident. they cleared light for me ran dx. showed a DTC P0441 evap control system code. the light has come back on. my question is could that kind of accident cause the engine light to come on and if show how to remeady. thanks

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Let me explain a little about the Evap system so you understand why this may have happened to cause the Service Engine Soon light and what needs to be done.
The Evap system is when the computer monitors fuel tank vapor. That is the rush of air you hear when you remove the gas cap. So since the Fuel Filler neck is on the drivers side, there could be a small crack in one of the lines for the Evap system, so the computer when it does a self test on the system, if it see's it can't hold pressure, it turns on the Service Engine Soon light. So this is why it would be related.
What is normally done to locate the Evap Leak so it can be repaired is a smoke machine. This fills the Evap system with smoke and it will come out where the leak is so it can be repaired.
I would bring it back to the body shop to have them resolve this for you since related, and it would be put in through the insurance company as a supplement towards the repair.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!