Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 97 altima runs very rough and will not idle all the time.

Customer Question

My 97 altima runs very rough and will not idle all the time. it burns through fuel because it runs so rough. I have replaced the air filter, fuel filter, plugs, plug wire, solenoid. I think there may be debris in the gas tank itself, however, when i rev it up black smoke is very heavy. any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Do you have a Check Engine Light on when the vehicle is running?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but not all the time. It will come on and stay on for days and then go off for days.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok.. Do you happen to know what codes you are getting? Have you had the car scanned for codes?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it was that there was a misfire. Nothing else. Would fuel tank debris cause the black smoke?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The Black smoke is normally caused by a few things. One is the distributor, the other is the MAF sensor. Those two are the most common. How ever, Do you know what brand spark plugs you have installed? They can cause running issues if they are not NGK's. These Engines only like NGK spark plugs. Any other plugs can cause misfire codes. Especially Bosch.
I would try to make sure the spark plugs are NGK. If not, put NGK's in. Then see if it runs smoother. IF your getting bogging and acceleration issues, then you are most likely dealing with a Maf Sensor. Still running ruff and bucking, is most likely the Distributor.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!