Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Quest: I have a '96 Nissan Quest that is giving code P0325,

Customer Question

I have a '96 Nissan Quest that is giving code P0325, P0135, and P1336. The vehicle is slow to accelerate and bucks/jerks at steady throttle. Not too bad when cold (but noticeable), very bad when warmed up (virtually undriveable). I have replaced spark plugs, plug wires, coil, crankshaft sensor and oxygen sensor but still have the problem. I am at wits end and don't know where to look or try next.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
Let's start with one code at a time and see if any of the other codes will change. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). P0325 is a DTC for a knock sensor problem. When plugged in and back probing the knock sensor wire, the voltage should be approximately 2.5 volts. If the voltage is high or low suspect that the stub harness under the intake manifold is faulty. The coaxial wire breaks internally. The knock sensor sub-harness connector should have a white wire and should be located by the power steering pressure switch that is attached to the power steering high-pressure tube. Check for about 2.5v with the engine running. If there is no voltage at all there is a short or an open in the wire from the Engine Control Module (ECM). If the voltage checks good disconnect the knock sensor sub-harness and check the harness to the knock sensor to ground, resistance should be 500kΩ to 620kΩ. These tests will rule out or condemn knock sensor and or its harness. The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold. Also check the grounds connections on the ends of the intake manifold.
P0135 is for the front o2 sensor. Check this o2 sensors harness by the engine mount. Disconnect the sensor and pull on the harness connector from the engine and see if any of the wires stretch. These wires tend to break inside the insulation, usually within a few inches of the connector. Inspect the o2 sensor wiring harness for chafing and or grounding out at the engine or engine mount. With the key on there should be battery voltage on the blue/yellow wire, wiggle and pull on the harness to make sure there are no intermittent connections. If there is no voltage and the wires are good check the #4 fuse in the interior fuse block.
P1336 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) circuit malfunction. I'm sure you already know this. There are not to many wiring problems within this circuit. The possibilities are mostly the sensor itself or a cracked or chipped tooth on the sensors reluctor/flywheel. The resistance of the CKP should be 432Ω to 5284Ω at 77°F this is checked from the CKP's terminals. The CKP is located on the transaxle housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the drive plate. It detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution. The sensor consists of a permanent magnet, core and coil. When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes. The ECM receives the voltage signal and detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution. This sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It is used only for the on board diagnosis of misfire. It's a hard call on this one without looking at the sensors waveform with a lab scope. It's also possible the knock sensor code is setting this CKP code, may just have to wait and see on this one.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all fuses and all are fine. I had already found and repaired a break in the O2 Sensor Blue/Yellow wire, was broken at the connector on the harness side. I will have to figure out where the knock sensor is and check it.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
The knock sensor harness connector comes out at the front of the engine and is usually located by the P/S pressure switch. The link below shows where the connector comes out.
Knock Sensor Connector Location
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iGdcsV43VYM0hGdDhjbERWSDQ/view?usp=sharing
With the key on do you have battery voltage on the blue/yellow wire for the o2?
Let me know.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have proper voltage on blue/yellow o2 wire, and the code is now gone, so my repair on the wiring solved that issue. But I am still having same symptoms. I have not checked knock sensor yet, due to having trouble finding the plug, but I am not really sure that a bad knock sensor would be causing the symptoms I am having. I plan on pulling the "new" crankshaft positioning sensor and checking it, I am thinking that I may have gotten a dud.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
If you now have no codes and the same drive-ability problems. Runs different cold than when warmed up. Sure sounds like a crank sensor except the crank sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It's used only for the on board diagnosis of misfire. Check the resistance of the CKP it should be 432Ω to 5284Ω at 77°F.
Let me know if any codes are present.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I still have P0325 and P1336 presently.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
If P0325 is the first code. Then the knock sensors circuit should be looked at first and before anything else.