Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Frontier: 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0 will get a a sel light (P0021)

Customer Question

2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0 will get a a sel light (P0021) at idle speed only. Truck runs well no idle problems. New crank postion and cam sensors. As well as a new IVT solenoid as the old one was bad. I tested it with an ohm meter and it was out of spec.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
The reason for triggering the code for the intake timing control is most likely due to oil pressure, if the engine oil is low or if the gaskets in the inner timing cover have slipped out the oil pressure will be low at idle and cause the valve timing fault
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What you need to do is connect a mechanical gauge to the oil pressure switch port and see what the oil pressure is at idle when the engine is fully warmed up. It should be 14 psi or better at an idle if it is lower say around 6 or 7 psi that would indicate there is an internal pressure loss and that would probably be the gaskets for the oil passages on the inner timing cover. To replace the gaskets means taking the front of the engine apart to replace the inner timing cover which is the only way to get the gaskets although some techs will make their own gaskets instead of replacing the entire inner cover.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Have you had a chance to connect a mechanical gauge to the engine and see what the oil pressure is?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate my answer