peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

NX2000: Getting a loud tick out of the top of motor above 2000

Customer Question

Getting a loud tick out of the top of motor above 2000 rpm. Car will idle for days without overheating little to no noise. Worse under a load. Ideas? 1992 Nissan NX2000 2.0 liter manual.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The tick noise may be due to lack of oil or oil pressure at higher engine rpm's.This can occur with sludge build up in the engine oil pan or oil pump pick up tube or an issue with sludge in the valve cover area on the cylinder head not allowing the oil to drain properly.I have also seen where lifters/tappets rattle like this here and had to replace the affected component.
I would have the oil pressure tested as well as the engine checked for sludge to see if you can locate the cause here for repair.
Thanks Pete