Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Titan: Bought one of those turbonators to put in my air intake

Customer Question

Bought one of those turbonators to put in my air intake tube. Seemed to work added a little to gas milage. Was coming home today in very high head winds. Started up a fairle steep grade and all of a sudden the gas milage really dropped assumed it was the combination of the wind and hill. When i got to top of hill milage seemed to return but not as good as before. When i got home thwer was a slight ticking noise. Sounded like it was coming from front of engine by throttle body. Long story short. I removed the intake pipe at throttle body saw nothing. Removed air cleaner and removed the turbonator and saw that thwr were parts missing. Must be in engine??? Were did it go?? Will engine be junk?? What do i remove to find parts??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
The first thing you are going to need to do is no longer start the engine till you find the broken piece that got sucked into the engine.
The intake plenum and intake will need to be removed to check each cylinder to try to locate where this piece of the Turbonator fin went.
The Turbonators cause a air vortex in the intake as well as a K&N air filter which makes these vehicles run lean and actually makes the Mpg worse.
So you need to start taking apart the top intake of the engine and look into each valves through the intake to see if you can find that broken piece.
Once you find it, you will then be able to determine if the engine damage is beyond repair.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were 2 fan blades on this unit. One on eacch end. The one facing the engine came completly off. It is big.
When looking thru valves as you say need to remove valves?? Sounds like this is beyond my skills and tools.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If removing the intake to inspect the valves and look for the broken fins, then you are going to want to take it to someone who can. It's best not to start it. You don't want to do any further damage.
I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked on lots of cars in the 60's. These engines are different. So you think the parts are in the cylinders??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It's only got one place to go. That is through the intake and could be jammed up in a intake valve or may have gotten into a cylinder.
These engine are indeed much harder to work on than cars in the 60's. I have a 70 Cutlass, and that engine much easier than the titans.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a ripoff.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Did you want instructions on how to remove the intake to look for yourself?