Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Xterra: tranny problem. 2005 xterra 187K mi. running very

Customer Question

tranny problem.
2005 xterra 187K mi. running very healthy yesterday. (I corrected the radiator/tranny problem at 100K mi.) This morning it decided not to shift into any other gear than 1st. No reverse or any other forward gear. no leaks. The engine is strong just put in 4, O2 sensors. new tires new breaks new U joints, body is in very good condition.
Please let me know what you think in terms of
The Problem?
The aprox or ball park cost to repair.( I thought of checking grave yards for used tranny)?
Could it be as easy as a module ?
Thank you
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
it has no reverse at all?please explian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No engine light.
I put it into Reverse and there is no reverse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
ok
i would think this is the transmission itself,i dont think this is electrical but mechanical,,i would think the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.,you may be better off finding a known good used transmission sense this one is expensive to rebuild,,to have a shop rebuild this one may cost $2500+/- you may be able to find a used one for under $1000 at your local salvage yard..
the tcm was bad about going bad on this year model and burning out the transmission,the tcm is located on the valve body and cost close to $1000 itself..
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree just wanted to be sure. thanks.
you are very welcome
thanks for using justanswer