Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Maxima: I have 2009 maxima. It appears to overheat from dashboard

Customer Question

I have 2009 maxima. It appears to overheat from dashboard while sitting in traffic, but no "typical" signs of overheating. As soon as I am driving again the temp hand moves back to normal. I have replaced radiator, radiator cap, several hoses, thermastat, temp control sensor. What could cause this problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** it only overheats in traffic, when you are not moving fast, then cools down once you get going, then the cooling fan is not coming on, when you are going faster, the air will then flow across the radiator, and cool it don, usually this is caused by a bad fan motr, have you seen if you can turn the fan by hand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. But have taken to dealership for diagnosis and they recommended the repairs done.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
it wont be any of those, if it pnly does it in slow traffic, its going to be in the fan, the key here is it cools down once you go faster, so this means everything else in the system is working, it just is not getting any airflow when in stop and go trafic, that is what the cooling fan is for,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the fan motor needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
most likely, but you need to have them check for power at the fan, when you turn on the a/c, if it has power, but is not turning, then yes, replace the cooling fan,Tim