Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I attempted to replace the coil on my 1987 Nissan 6 cyl. pickup

Customer Question

I attempted to replace the coil on my 1987 Nissan 6 cyl. pickup and I got the wrong one but did not notice it until I tried to start it. I put the other one back in and now it will not start at all.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Do you have a test light or volt meter we can use for some testing?Was the truck actually running prior to replacing the coil? I mean why were you replacing the coil?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the truck was running but it would die after reaching 2000 RPMs. I was told that it was the cam shaft sensor the is integrated into the distributor. Now it will not start.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
This is true, the cam sensor is part of the distributor.Do you have anything we can use to test the electrical? We need to see what's going on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get a tester.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you may have taken out one of the fusible links. The only way to tell is to check for power with the key on and using a test light or volt meter. You can look at them and try pulling them and make sure none of them come apart, otherwise we need a test light to do all this.Check and make sure the check engine light is coming on as well when you turn the key on. If not, then it helps point us in the right direction as well.Please get a 12 volt automotive test light and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, will do. It may take me a little bit. I will get back with you in about 20 minutes. Where are the fusible links?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
The fusible links are out by the battery, you should see a cluster of wires right off the positive battery terminal, whites and brown, possibly some green, these are the fusible links. I should be here so let me know when you can :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I am ready
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I need you to turn the key to the run position, then check the black/white stripped wire out at the coil for power. If there isn't any power let me know, if there is power, then it's something with the ignition switch or one of the fusible links.Check it out and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, what position do I need the meeter set to?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
12 volt DC, then the red lead on the black/white wire and the black lead on a ground.You can unplug the connector for this test, this is the main power feed to the ignition coil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I unplug it from the battery?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
No, we are checking the connector at the coil, not the battery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have power at the coil connector.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we need to check for spark.Pull one of the plug wires off one of the spark plugs, then set it about 1/4 inch from a metal bolt on the engine, then crank the engine and see if there is any spark jumping from the wire to the metal bolt.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is getting spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, next we have to see if fuel is the problem. Try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle body then crank the engine and see if it fires for a few seconds until it runs out.Try this and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I have messed up the coil?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
No, if you have spark, the coil is doing it's job.I am thinking you may have a timing issue, since you have spark the truck should fire off the carb cleaner or starting fluid. If it's not, then either the engine is fouled or the timing is off.You should try pulling a couple of the plugs and see if they are covered with fuel. If they are, leave them out for a while to let the fuel evaporate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fuel on the plugs
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you do me a favor and pull the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is spinning when you crank the engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, what did you spray into the throttle to see if it will fire, you have spark, it should fire. If there isn't anything on the plugs then fuel is the issue, but if what you spray in the throttle isn't flammable, or you didn't spray enough, the truck won't sputter as it fires,I think you need to make sure there is fuel and the fuel pump fuse is not blown. This issue you are having is not related to changing the coil if the truck has spark.You also need to check compression to make sure the timing belt didn't slip or jump time and cause this condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the rotor cap does spin. Also what do I need the compression to read?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, the compression should read 128-179