Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan X-Trail: I drive a 2013 Nissan X-trail. A/c not working.

Customer Question

I drive a 2013 Nissan X-trail. A/c not working. Mechanic said compressor clutch buggered. Wants to replace the whole compressor for about AUD 2000.00 !! X-Trail on-line forum suggests it might just be the fuse in the compressor clutch. How do I find out what is rallt the problem ? how much should I pay if it is just the clutch fuse !
Geoff
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!Determining what is wrong with the compressor is not to hard. What you want to do is activate the AC and check for power at the compressor. If the compressor has power but does not engage, that will require the Ac Compressor to be replaced. Also when you replace the compressor, you need to replaced the receiver dryer. They always get replaced together. Another thing you want to make sure of is that there is enough freon in the system. If the system has to little or to much freon, it also won't allow the compressor to engage to protect it from damage. Rule of thumb when ever we are working on a AC system we always start with making sure the freon level is correct. The only way to do that is to suck it down with a machine that can measure how much freon it's removing, and then vacuum test the system and charge it to the proper amount. If it still doesn't work after that, fuses are checked then power to the compressor. There is no such thing as a Clutch fuse. There is a Fuse for the AC system, that is like 50 cents. But fuses should be checked with a test light to determine if they are getting power. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the answer I was hoping for. I tried to identify the fuse for the airconditioning in the fuse box under the dashboard, to see if it was a blown fuse. It looks nothing like the diagram in the manual, and there wasn't one on the diagram named as "airconditioning" anyway.Is the airconditioning fuse under the bonnet/hood ? The mechanic who looked at the car said that the gas was o.k. but the clutch was not engaging. I cannot believe that the whole compressor needs to be replaced if only the clutch is unserviceable. Seems like a lazy way to rectify a problem. Doesn't any one FIX anything these days ? If you could show me how to find the airconditioning fuse, this would be a good place to start.
Thanks,Geoff
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Back in the day, the compressors were more basic, and the clutch could be replaced separately. Now the newer compressors, they don't sell the clutches separate any more, cause they have more sensors in the compressors now then they ever have before. I would think you may be under warranty since the car is only 2 years old. Unless your over in mileage. But yes, I know it's not the answer you may want to hear, but if the compressor is getting power and is not coming on, then the compressor would need to be replaced. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!