Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have an 07 350Z steering air bag deployed. The air bag light

Customer Question

I have an 07 350Z steering air bag deployed. The air bag light on dash came on and stays on. To reset Nissan system you have to do a series of Ignition on till air bag light flashes (5-7 seconds) turn off and back on till light goes out to flash then off and repeat 4 or 5 times. My airbag light doesn't flash it just stays on. How can I get light to flash to do reset procedure. I have replaced air bag, clock spring, seat belt pretensioner, and front impact sensor. Do I need to replace air bag module? I thought module could be reset? Do I need to remove module and send it out to be reset or place it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! When a Air Bag is deployed the Air Bag that is deployed needs to be replaced. Seat Belts may be required to replace since they have pre-tensioners in them. But most of all, the main air bag control unit needs to be replaced. You can't perform any self diag on the system with a air bag control module that has not been replaced after air bags have been deployed. So you will need to replace the air bag control unit before you can perform any further diagnostics. The control unit is located under the back part of the center console. So the center console will need to be removed to replace it.If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not satisfied. the answer is not worth $24 you didn't give me any special instruction on how to reset the system just confirming that I have to replace the control module which is the only thing left to replace in the system. It doesn't tell me anything that I wouldn't have done on my own if I didn't ask you the question and without your answer. That was why I was hesitating to ask the question to begin with, I'm not going to pay for something that I had already figured out before asking question

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You can not reset the system. Once the air bag have been deployed the control unit has to be replaced. When the signal from the crash zone sensor or side impact sensors is sent to the Air Bag Control unit, Once the Air Bag Control unit deploys the air bags, it's a 1 time use. So when the air bags are replaced the control unit has to be replaced as well. It not longer can perform diagnostics cause it has been triggered. I am sorry if the answer I am giving you is not what you want to hear. But this is the answer to your question. Before you can do any self diagnostics on the air bag system to determine if anything else needs to be replaced, the air bag control unit needs to be replaced.If you can tell me the area of impact on the car, I can try to give you the list of things that needed to be replaced.Let me know