Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Pathfinder: I have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder, Automatic, SE.

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder, Automatic, SE. The Oil Temp, Amp (battery), and Brake light came on and stayed on today. Typically I know that means the alternators is going but the alternator is less than a year old. There is another thing that started as well; the car starts loosing power/speed and the RPMs go up and keep going up. You have to back off the gas until you "feel it" then accelerate and its ok. I thought maybe a solenoid... but I don't know. Supposedly a rebuilt tranny was put in a few years ago as well.

And im in Canada not Cambodia. I don't know why it says that.

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!When you had your Alternator replaced, where did you get the Alternator from? Auto Parts Store I am assuming due to the trucks age. If that is the case, I can say that after market alternators if you get one that works, tend to last less than a year. So it's very possible that the Alternator is your issue, especially if the Battery and Brake light are on. This can also cause a low system voltage issue which can make the truck not accelerate properly due to low voltage, or not allow the transmission to operate properly due to low voltage. So everything you are experiencing could all be due to the Alternator. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure. I took it to a mechanic and he put one in. I would of believed it is one if it wasn't for the other issues at the same time.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well it's easy enough to verify with a Volt Meter. Do you have one of them?