Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Murano: 2009 Murano rear power liftgate inop. Can not find

Customer Question

2009 Murano rear power liftgate inop. Can not find any good info / diag / wiring diagrams. Please do not ask me if over ride switch is off, or if it been wrecked or any general question. If you do not have first hand knowledge of Nissan power liftgate system, please do not replay. Thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 11 months ago.

Clifton B. :

hi do thge gate even atemp to open

Clifton B. :

let me know i need to know if it atemp to open if you hear the motor working at all .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no. nothing, no noise, no clicks
i had the swap the chat because i cannot see your reply sorry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No noise at all, does nothing
do you have intelligent key system on the car
i need to know if you have intelligent keys
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, if i push lock or unlock, all other door actuators work, but hear noth in hatch, I manually open with release inside. Only thing i ever did hear was when door was in open position, i used scredriver to close latch, and it made noise and pulled in a small amount
ok so if you lower the gate the motor will pull it in to close it right ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, if close it soft, it will pull in
ok that means the closure motor is working and the control unit have power and ground and is somewhat working , the next thing would be to check for power at the back door motor , if you have power when closing or opening then you have a bad motor unit and will have to replace it , there are two motor one close the door on the final pull in that is the closure motor then there is a back door motor that is built into the control unit and pull the door down and up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK you talking about motor overhead in body? if so , you know wire colors, or conector diagram? I am use to GM power gates, if any one input failes it shuts down, even if you had bad motor, you would never know it due to module will not send power in fault mode. Is Nissan same way, if I have bad motor, will it still send power to it? If so what is diag procedure?
yes it will still send power , yes the over head motor there will be 3 connector in the motor/control unit you need the connector with 10 pins the wire colors or pin 7 and 8 blue with white and blue with orange power and or ground go ether way like the window motor . you will most likely have to replace the control unit/motor base on the fact that the closure motor works .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tryied to back probe to check for power, could not get anything, dissconnected connector to reposition, plug it back in to retest and it started working. They said they had it at a shop before and it would only stay working for couple of hours. did disconnecting reset something? Do I need to replace overhead motor assembly? If so is it all one piece, and is there a relearn procedure that needs to be done?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or is the fact motor works and was not getting power, is it a contol module problem
the control unit and motor is one part if you disconnect it and it start working you will need to replace it because it will go back to not working the motor have some kind of signal jamming problem that make them stop working so replace it . as i told you it is one unit so one part fix all motor and control unit
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just for my own knowledge, could you give run down on how it works. The module in side panel sends power to overhead motor? and to the rear hatch latch? If the motor does not work, is it due to fact module not sending power? or if overhead motor shorts out does it short out module, ect. But you saying that after disconnecting overhead motor it comes back it is overhead motor. The diagrams I found were poor. did not give good description
the over head unit is the control unit and the motor built into one unit you cannot get the motor apart from the unit they come as one part ,the way it works is all the switches are wired to the control unit the motor also when you push a switch it send a signal to the control unit and the unit works the motor every thing is built into one unit then sensor and switches are added to send your needs to the motor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
AllData shows module in left rear cargo area. BCM module, is that tied in with it at all? You say it is all in one unit, Terminal 7 & 8 switch power, where is that power coming from? or going to?
power is coming from the fuse box inside the car fuse number 6 and 3 and a 30 amp fuse j under the hood the bcm do not control it it is only there to get input , the bcm the not the control unit the over head unit is the control unit and the motor in one the bcm need the input to flash the hazard light when the door is open
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now I know I am only bothering you. But if it is a self contained motor / module with only inputs from switches, and out puts to BCM ect. I figure it would just have power in. does it pull power from two different fuses for power up and power down? There is only one connector to it, why / how is voltage switching beween to terminals? Not sure if I am explainging my question well enough. And in no way trying to Question your answer, if you seen it hundred times I believe you. but at $953.69 for an overgrown window motor with a arm hanging off, kinda want to make sure.
there is one fuse that is hot all the time for memory and one fuse that power up with ignition on, the control unit supply power and ground to the motor and get a ground feed back from all the switches ,there is also a circuit breaker on the power line to protect the system from over heating so the motor is using too much power causing the breaker to pop but it do not cool down till you unplug the unit .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK but is control unit sending power somewhere and then back to motor? Do you have a wiring diagram? I understand power & switched power to unit. power to module, module reverses and motor goes other way. But if power from module to motor, but there is switching power at that connector, what is at other end of those two circuits
the switch circuit is just ground there is a wire from the unit to ground and the switch is in the wire all the switch do is close the ground circuit , the other end of that circuit is just a wire going to ground ,I can try to send you the diagram but not till tomorrow

graphic

graphic
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. If you could email me those, I could not print them. Like I said, at that cost just want to be %100, Thanks for your answer and the extra mile you wentXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thought I had something, thought it came back after disconnecting and reconnecting, worked for a while. put everything back together, went down once, but latch would not pull it in. Stopped and quit working again. disconnect does nothing now. And when I put screwdriver in latch, it does nothing now too. Is there a test procedure to see if I am loosing an input or something? Almost like it was going down working fine, but did not latch right and went out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The 10 pin connector at the motor assembly itself has no power at any terminal

did you check pin 7 and 8 the two big wires when trying to work the door

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, no power to any pin at any time to connector at motor
all power to that unit comes from the control unit is if the unit have power then it needs to be replace even if one switch was bad it would still work from the remote
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The control unit in left rear cargo area? What are the powers and grounds to it?
i sent you the wiring diagram did you see it ? ground is on pin 21, 22 and 34 power is on pin 10 ,28 and 9
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could not see it to blurry and could not print it, what are wire colors
21 ,22 is block on the big connector in the center of the connector . 34 is also black on the 8 pin connector at the corner of the connector all are grounds . power 9 is green 10 is sky blue both are in the center of the big connector, 28 power is red in the corner of the 8 pin connector
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have all my powers & grounds, but on 9 & 10 it was a grey and green not blue, but terminal position was right
if you have all your power and ground and the motor do not work then the unit is bad because that unit control every thing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The controller with the two connectors behind the panel in cargo area?
yes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK what did I miss last night it was the motor assembly now it controller. Are there not any inputs to it? does latch hve switches in it that can fail and stop door? is module common problem?
if you have power to the control unit and no door operation /no power to the motor replace the control unit if you have power to the unit and the motor replace the motor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is it plug & play or does it need to be programmed?
just plug and play you will have to open and close the gate by head 2 to 3 times at first to set the motor position
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, but still is there a diag trouble tree? How do I know the module is receiving input to put door up or down, or that it is down and it needs to latch. How do I know it did not start working because I had panels pulled back and moved a wire or something, Does this module control only the rear door? Like I said I am use to GM power lifts and if any one of the latch or position switches fault it will not activate.
you need to check the inputs then but all them cant be bad you have 3 input to open the door