Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Sentra: Hello, I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra XE with 150,000

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra XE with 150,000 miles. I'm getting it ready for its annual inspection, but a minor flood went through the neighborhood and I got caught in it and had to leave it in the road, since my engine cut off and could not be started due to the water pushing against it. The water never got higher than the middle of the front bumper. When the flood was over, I tried to start it up. It turns over every time but it doesn't stay running. It will start, then sputter down and cut off. I do this multiple times and the same result. So I switched it in neutral and started it up while revving the gas, and it will start and stay running while I rev it up. So eventually I am able to drive it. But when I come to a stop light and press on the brakes, the engine cuts off. Even when I repeat the process, it's always when I press on the brakes that it will cut the engine off. Please help.

Clifton B. :

hi is the service engine soon light on

Customer: no it's off
if the car start and run drive fine but stall when your foot is off the gas then you have a problem with the idle control system the idle valve is built into the throttle body I would start with getting the idle relearn done this will let the ecm learn where to idle the engine you may have to go to the dealer for this as you need a good scan tool
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Do you know of any other problems it could be if it's not the idle relearn? I read on reviews about this problem and the idle was brought up a lot, but I want to make sure.
its ether that or the ecm itself
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the advice.