Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Nissan Murano: I have a Nissan Murano that is leaking purple

I have a Nissan Murano that is leaking purple oil. It's not a bad leak but every morning I find some purple oil on the garage floor and you can smell the burnt oil after getting home. I took the car to Express Oil and all oil levels were fine,brake, power steering, engine oil, transmission. And I had their mechanic look. He and I saw drops of purple oil on the firewall but could not see where it is coming from. What could this be?

Clifton B. :

hi

Customer:

hi back

Clifton B. :

do you know what side of the car the oil is coming from left or right

Customer:

It hard to tell. But it appears center up high.

Customer:

I would say driver side more than rider side

Clifton B. :

ok the power steering high pressure hose is the mast likely cause of this leak, the only purple oil are power steering and trans fluid, if it is up high then it can be from the trans that only leave the power steering and the high pressure hose is where they leak and this is very common

Customer:

Ok, so if I have the hose replaced, this may solve the problem. So that would be the next move to see if the leak stops?

Clifton B. :

you would need the clean the area of the leak and let the car run that way you can tell where the leak is coming from

Clifton B. :

if the problem is fix by replacing the hose then you would just need to recheck for leaks

Customer:

Ok, replacing and cleaning would not be too costly and may solve the problem. If the leak comes back then the only thing left is the transmission, correct?

Clifton B. :

yes

Customer:

Ok, thank Clifton

Clifton B. :

base on the color of the fuild

Clifton B. :

your welcome please remember to rate my answer thanks.

Customer:

Sound good to me and I'm going to do what you advised.

Customer:

Thanks again

Clifton B. :

your welcome