Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan X trail: Hi Jay, I have a 2005 Xtrail Nissan SUV and

Customer Question

Hi Jay,
I have a 2005 Xtrail Nissan SUV and the back hatch firstly wouldn't lock at all.. and now as of today.. it won't open! It is locked tight. When I unlock and lock the front and side doors, I cannot hear anything internally of the hatch lock in the back. Do you have any ideas? Could this be a fuse? or would it be a broken assembly?
Judy
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

Jay :

Hello Judy,

Jay :

This is most likely the rear hatch door lock actuator.

Customer:

what is that?

Customer:

Is that a part that is broken?

Jay :

the is a electrical part that locks and unlocks the rear hatch

Jay :

Since it was not locking, the actuator probably wasn't strong enough to lock the door.

Jay :

But now, it was able to this one time and now it's not working at all

Customer:

how can I be sure?

Jay :

Well, to be sure you would need to get the door open first.. Which if I recall should have a little cover inside you pop off for a emergency release

Jay :

Then once you get the door open, the panel would need to be take off to check the actuator with a volt meter to see if it's getting the proper signals to operate

Jay :

If it is, and it doesn't work, then it will need to be replaced

Customer:

we looked inside the back and did not see an emergency release... what would it look like?

Jay :

Let me look in the owners manual..

Jay :

Give me a min

Jay :

Found it

Customer:

ok

Jay :

That is a page from your owners manual

Jay :

showing where the manual release is so you can open the hatch

Customer:

Hmm can't see it

Customer:

can you explain it?

Jay :

You need to get inside the hatch area and pop this cover off at the bottom of the inside panel to access the manual release

Jay :

Do you have your owners manual?

Jay :

It's page 3-9 if you want to look at it better

Jay :

The image I know isn't the greatest

Customer:

Yes.. in the vehicle

Customer:

So once we get it open.. then what?

Jay :

Well that is how you will need to get it open first off, and how you would be able to start taking the panel off to diagnose your issue

Jay :

Are you plan on diagnosing this yourself?

Customer:

well if it is something I can fix.. if not I will take it in for repairs.,.. just trying to minimize the cost!

Customer:

just trying to minimize the cost if it is something that I could fix myself

Jay :

I will share the information with you and if you feel it's something you can do, then go right ahead

Jay :

1 min

Jay :

Click that link for how the back panel is secured

Jay :

That is how you remove the door lock actuator..

Jay :

Now the wiring so you can properly check it.. Hang on..

Jay :

That link is the wiring diagram

Jay :

What you mainly are going to do is remove the back panel and unplug the rear door lock actuator.

Jay :

Then with a volt meter probe the plug and hit the remote or something to lock and unlock the doors and see if your getting voltage to that plug

Jay :

If you are, then you have verified the actuator is no good and will need to be replaced

Jay :

Understand?

Customer:

yes, I think so.. if it is not the actuator.. what else could cause this?

Customer:

Can any auto repair location repair this? or must it be a nissan dealer/

Customer:

Are you there Jay?

Jay :

yes I am .. Sorry

Jay :

Trick or Treaters

Customer:

ha ha

Customer:

we havent had any yet!

Jay :

Well it's would be one of 3 things..

Jay :

Either the rear hatch door lock actuator.

Jay :

A wiring problem

Jay :

or the Bcm

Customer:

what is BCM

Jay :

Most common is the door lock actuator

Jay :

Body Control Module

Jay :

Smart Entrance control module

Jay :

is what it's known as also

Customer:

likely

Jay :

yes..

Customer:

ok.. is there a way that I can save this entire file so that I have it for a reference?

Jay :

It's most commonly the rear hatch lock actuator on the door

Jay :

Sure

Jay :

Any links I have given you, just download load them and save them

Jay :

And as far as all the information we have talked about, after you rate me you can print it

Jay :

Plus

Jay :

if you ever would like to return to review this as well

Jay :

You only need to log into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions

Jay :

You will find this question there.

Customer:

one more point.. this is a Bonnavista would all of the above be the same?

Jay :

Sorry.. Say again?

Customer:

Nissa X Trail Bonnavista.. a special edition

Jay :

Same system more or less

Jay :

That is just a model with more features..

Jay :

But still a X-trail

Customer:

so the emergency open procedure would be the same?

Jay :

yes

Jay :

They all have this emergency or Manual Release

Jay :

I can see your having problems entering the Chat so I am going to end it and switch it to Question and Answer

Jay :

If you find yourself still in the chat please refresh the page.

Customer:

Thanks Jay.. I am trying to sign off

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi Jay.. sorry my machine kept cutting out ... bad internet connection on my laptop. This has been very helpful and thank you for your time!

Judy

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome Judy, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!