Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

nissan pathfinder: Mike. 2003 nissan pathfinder 3.5 auto, 4wd.

Customer Question

Mike. 2003 nissan pathfinder 3.5 auto, 4wd.
Problem: car will stall when turning or going over bumps. Idol is good, starts after shut off but is unpredictable. I have a code of p0725. I have read to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Is there 1 or 2? Do I need to replace both?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for your Question.

Jay :

When you have a code P0725, engine speed signal code, that is normally do to a Cam Sensor or Crank Sensor.

Jay :

Most of the time it's Cam Sensors..

Jay :

for the Pathfinder.

Jay :

So as for if you need to replace them both..

Jay :

It's recommended cause when one goes, the other is normally right behind it or may not read as fast as the new sensor and still cause you issues.

Jay :

But a Cam Sensor will cause stalling, hard start, jerking when driving

Jay :

It's also recommend not to use After Market Sensors.

Jay :

They never work right and most cases don't resolve the problem and generate different codes which has you spending money replacing parts you don't need

Jay :

Cam Sensor especially.

Jay :

If you were to install a After Market Cam Sensor, most times they will continue to cause stalling and hard start problems and can cause intake timing codes

Jay :

So then you would be spending money checking timing chains and intake timing when it's actually just the after market Cam sensor..

Jay :

So get the sensors from the dealer and I do recommend replacing both Cam Sensors..

Customer:

im here just catching up on the dialog

Jay :

Not a problem..

Customer:

ok. so buy oem parts and buy both

Jay :

Yes..

Customer:

the one crank sensor is easy to see

Jay :

That is what I would recommend for your issue

Jay :

Yeah, but that never goes..

Customer:

the cam sensor is on the block somewhat hidden

Jay :

1 sec

Jay :

You actually have one cam sensor on the front of your engine

Jay :

Sorry.. Thinking of a different 3.5

Jay :

You have one that is mounted on the front timing cover.

Jay :

So it's only one sensor you would need to replace

Customer:

easy to get too

Customer:

cool

Jay :

You have two intake timing sensors that sit on the top and the one Cam sensor on the front of the engine

Jay :

Yeah, it's not to bad if your handy

Customer:

do i ask for a camshaft sensor or a cam sensor

Jay :

Same thing

Jay :

If you asked both ways it's the same thing

Customer:

thank you

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

real quick, the dealer is saying their is two sensors, one for each head. he is not aware of thr one in the middle. what name should i yell him?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Darn.. You do have two.. I thought you did, then I thought with the Pathfinder you had the one on the front timing cover. But I just double checked and I am sorry. You do have two Cam sensors.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think by the description of the problem my issue is cam sensors (VTC Valve) or crankshaft sensor?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It is always a Cam Sensor or a Crank Sensor that causes that code. Like I said earlier, Cam Sensors are the most common. Never seen the crank sensors fail really on these trucks. Cam Sensors tend to fail with age since they are inside the engine. The crank sensor is mounted off the trans and just reads the pick up ring on the fly wheel.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you

have a nice halloween

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and Thank you .. You too have a Happy Holloween

Thanks Jay!