Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have the possibility of purchasing a used 2005 maxima at

I have the possibility of purchasing a used 2005 maxima at 107,000 miles. is this still a reliable vehicle, and what are the common problems at this mileage
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

Jay :

Back in the day I did like these cars.

Jay :

Now when they come of age, they show allot of issues that changed the way I feel about the 04 to 08 Max's

Customer:

so would you avoid this vehicle? I am looking for a second vehicle so as to not put the miles on my jeep

Jay :

Now 107k miles is not bad, but the 5 speed auto trans.. Not a Fan of them... They tend to have issues as they get up there in mileage.

Jay :

I have been a Nissan Tech for over 20 years..

Jay :

These cars have become money pits..

Jay :

Always fixing something..

Jay :

and it's never cheap..

Jay :

I am sure if you want to read about ABS issues, 5 speed transmissions, you will find more than enough info online to make you think

Customer:

thank you so much! That helps put my mind at ease. Although the car looks great, I do get leery of them when they get that high in mileage with all the fancy electronics. If you were looking for a good used reliable car, what do you think about a 1999 Honda accord with 83k original miles? garage kept, single owner, and clear maintenance record?

Jay :

The Honda is a much better car, I would go with that one!!

Customer:

that helps put my mind at ease :) Honda it is!

Jay :

I am sure you will have less to worry about with that car..

Jay :

The main thing you want to do with that car though, is the timing belt..

Jay :

That shouldn't cost that much after you get the car..

Jay :

But they are good for 10 years or 100k miles

Jay :

The belt is due by time, unless it's been done already..

Customer:

that is what I am looking for, no worry, easy on gas, and dependable on road trips. You have been of great assistance to me. Thank you :_

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Your welcome and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer