Joe
Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years auto repair experiance.
9843993

Pathfinder: I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that wont start

I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that wont start when hot. Manual transmission. has power to starter, can push start, battery seems overcharged. Wont jump start, starter wont engage. help?

Hello and thank you for using just answer! I am here to help you with your problem, so feel free to ask questions until you are satisfied.

Just so were clear, you have power at the black/pink wire on the starter solenoid when turning the key?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Friend was trying to jump the starter and said there was power there but couldn't get the starter to turn over.

Ok, here is a wire diagram, there should be power at the large gauge wire on the starter all the time, and power at the thinner black/pink wire when turning the key to start. If there is power present, then the starter must be bad. You could try hitting the starter with a hammer, sometimes this will get it to start.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joe,

I will get a tester and check the wires. It will take me a half hour or so. Could this be connected to the battery over charging?

Well, you mentioned that you tried to jump start it, so I'm assuming there is sufficient voltage going to the starter. An overcharging condition wouldn't affect the starter, but if the battery was weak from undercharging there won't be enough voltage to turn the starter over. But like I said, if you have power at the starter, the starters probably bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the procedure to change the starter?

Its pretty straight forward, you may need to jack the car up to gain access. Disconnect negative battery cable, disconnect battery lead on starter and solenoid wire. Then there are 2 bolts holding it in. Should look simmilar to picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information Joe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joe, replaced starter, still wont start.

Ok, what kind of voltage do you have at the starter?