Joe
Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years auto repair experiance.
9843993

Pathfinder: I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that wont start

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that wont start when hot. Manual transmission. has power to starter, can push start, battery seems overcharged. Wont jump start, starter wont engage. help?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer! I am here to help you with your problem, so feel free to ask questions until you are satisfied.

Just so were clear, you have power at the black/pink wire on the starter solenoid when turning the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Friend was trying to jump the starter and said there was power there but couldn't get the starter to turn over.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here is a wire diagram, there should be power at the large gauge wire on the starter all the time, and power at the thinner black/pink wire when turning the key to start. If there is power present, then the starter must be bad. You could try hitting the starter with a hammer, sometimes this will get it to start.graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe,

I will get a tester and check the wires. It will take me a half hour or so. Could this be connected to the battery over charging?

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Well, you mentioned that you tried to jump start it, so I'm assuming there is sufficient voltage going to the starter. An overcharging condition wouldn't affect the starter, but if the battery was weak from undercharging there won't be enough voltage to turn the starter over. But like I said, if you have power at the starter, the starters probably bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the procedure to change the starter?

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Its pretty straight forward, you may need to jack the car up to gain access. Disconnect negative battery cable, disconnect battery lead on starter and solenoid wire. Then there are 2 bolts holding it in. Should look simmilar to picture.

Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience: 23 years auto repair experiance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information Joe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe, replaced starter, still wont start.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what kind of voltage do you have at the starter?