Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

nissan: Nissan

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

Jay :

It sounds like the remote which is the key for the car needs to be programmed. The steps your performing will not program it to the car. That is for old style remotes, that is not for I-keys.

Jay :

To program that I-Key type of remote you need a scanner to link to the car and pin read the BCM. It will give you a 5 digit number that you then need to decode to a 4 digit number which you go back to the scan tool to enter to program the key.

Jay :

This is something either a mobile tech, or mobile locksmith may be able to do, other wise it would need to go to the dealer to be programmed.

Jay :

Did you happen to try installing the remote into the remote slot to the left of the steering wheel and see if it starts with the remote in the slot? Maybe the battery is dead on the remote? That is what that slot is for. If the battery dies on the remote you put the remote in that slot to start the car.

Jay :

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I used the slot with remote. the battery is good. the remote will unlock and lock the doors, unlock trunk, and alarm works off remote. when insert key in slot, I get nothing.

wont even turn on any power at all.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Oh, try this for me. With the key away from the car, and the car unlocked, let me know if the steering wheel is locked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no its is not locked.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
That is your problem. You need a Steering lock control unit. That is mounted on the lower part of the steering column. Sometimes tapping it while pressing the start button will make it work like a bad starter. But that is sometimes. But that is most likely your issue. The steering not locking is a sign of that and will keep the car from starting like your describing.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great!! your awesome! it worked and started up after I tapped on it. so can I just replace

that without doing any programming.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Yup, you can just replace it. No programming needed!

Thanks for the Rating and thank you for using

Thanks Jay!