Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan Frontier: I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab.

I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab. In the morning when leaving for work, the brakes do not engage until I pump them a little first. They work fine all day running around, but when it is parked overnight or for a very long time, the brake issue comes back again. It definitely happens every morning. The master cylinder is new (actually replaced twice thinking maybe that was the issue) and adjustments were made to the booster so far. I'm thinking there is a very small leak somewhere, but not sure where or how to find it. Any suggestions?

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

Jay :

Who replaced the Master cylinder for you? Dealer? or repair shop?

Jay :

Also, you have ABS correct?

Customer:

Yes

Jay :

Who did the master cylinder replacement?

Jay :

Repair shop? or Dealer?

Customer:

My mechanic, but used nissan part. Replaced it twice thinking it may have been a faulty part.

Jay :

No, it's not faulty. What is the issue is the brake are not bleed properly

Jay :

Let me explain

Jay :

When equip with ABS you have to bleed the brakes in a certain order. If you don't follow the order of how to bleed the brakes, you won't get all the air out which is what your dealing with

Jay :

Hold on, let me get you the steps.

Jay :

so you can give it to your mechanic so he can bleed the brakes properly for you.

Jay :

Click that link to download the image with the directions on how to bleed the brake properly

Jay :

If they just went around and bleed the wheels, that is not the right way and won't get the air out.

Jay :

They need to bleed the wheels in this order!!!

Customer:

I would think they would know how to do this, but I can have them bleed the system again. At this point, all service through them is free until the issue is fixed. Any other suggestions it could be? You think the vacuum chamber/booster is probably okay?

Jay :

To be honest..

Jay :

Most repair shops don't know that they need to bleed Nissan Wheels in this order if equip with ABS

Jay :

Rule of thumb is normally bleed rear brakes, and then front. There normally isn't a order. But with the ABS system cause of the valves in the ABS unit, they have to be bleed in this order.

Customer:

Ok, I will have them re-bleed and see if this works.

Jay :

You got it. Make sure you print that image I gave you and give it to them to perform the bleeding steps that exact way!!!

Customer:

Already done...:) Thank you.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to return back to this question. Even after you Rate me. Follow up questions on the same topic are no additional charge.

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Excellent. Will do!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was wondering...if there is an air bubble in the system, wouldn't it affect the brakes all the time and not just when the truck has been sitting overnight?

It could be both. Depends on where the air is. The pocket sounds like it gets locked in place once you pump the pedal. But after it sits it moves until you lock it back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it. Will let you know. Thanks.

You got it.

Thanks Jay!