Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan/Datsun Pickup SE: I have a 1993 nissan 4x4 pickup with

Customer Question

I have a 1993 nissan 4x4 pickup with 3.0 litre V-6 engine. The problem is the left headlight will not work on high beam, the vehicle was in to a shop and they installed a new dimmer/turn signal switch but the problem is still there. The other strange thing is the right headlight sometimes hesitates to come on and you have to flick the switch a few times to get it to work.
Thank you
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

Jay :

From my experience, this is normally the head lights switch that causes this.

Jay :

Try this, cause something this will help verify my thoughts

Jay :

This is easier to see at night

Jay :

Pull the truck up to a garage door, or a wall or something, if you have someone who can look at the lights that is helpful also.

Jay :

What I would like you to do is turn the head lights on.

Jay :

Then after you turn them on

Jay :

Pull the head light switch back very, very slowly!!!

Jay :

See if the left high beam comes on at all!

Jay :

If the light does come on for a second and goes out, that verifies it's a head light switch

Jay :

That was how I did it back in the day with out going completely nuts checking all sorts of wires.

Jay :

I did this check first

Jay :

cause if the light can come on when you pull or press the head light Stalk slowly ( where it may not have made it's full cycle ) It's a internal contact issue in the head light switch

Jay :

You may find when you have pulled it slowly 1/2 way back or just at the 3/4 of it's movement is when the light may flash or come on

Jay :

Do you understand?

Customer:

Yes, I will try what you suggest and get back to you.

Jay :

You got it!

Jay :

Let me know how you make out.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Hi Jay

Jay :

Hello

Customer:

I tried what you suggested numerous times and at no time did the high beam come on on the left side. Once in awhile only one of the low beams would workuntil I played with the switch until both were working. Any other suggestions?

Jay :

If you have issues with the low beam and the steps I gave you allowed them to come on when they normally would not, that tells me there is a issue with the switch for sure

Jay :

So the head light switch would need to be replaced and operations rechecked.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

Jay :

If not, and your satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you Excellent Service.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

The switch was replaced about a year ago (new switch) do you think the new switch could have been defective?

Jay :

Was it a brand new switch or a used switch?

Jay :

Cause I don't know if even new switches are available any more for that year truck, that is why I am asking.

Customer:

It was a brand new switch, the mechanics tried a used switch but had not luck so then put in the new switch

Jay :

Everything your describing sounds like a switch.

Jay :

Even the fact that you say you turn the light on and have to turn them off and back on to get the light on.

Customer:

Thank you for the help I will keep working on it

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jay

One thing I did not mention was the day time running lights do not work, these are the headlights that are supposed to come on when the vehicle is started.

I played around with the contacts on the switch and got the headlights to work on high and low beam by cleaning them and spraying contact cleaner. Do you think the switch would be causing the problem with the day time running lights?

Thanks Ray

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
Oh you have DTRL's.. Do they work properly?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The DTRL do not work, do you think the problem is in the switch?

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
I will need to look at the wiring diagram when I get home from work and re-look at this issue. I will be back online around 6 or 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm. I will get back to you then.

Thanks Jay!