Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan/Datsun Sentra: Hello Ryan, 2009 Sentra. Daughter was

Customer Question

Hello Ryan, 2009 Sentra. Daughter was driving on freeway and the car just lost power. I arrived 20 minutes later and started the car. The car drove, but hesitated. Could not go over 2000 rpm. Fuel pump or fuel filter?

Forget it this takes too long!
I'll just take the car to the dealer.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is Jay and thank you for your question.

Jay :

This sounds more like a MAF sensor issue.

Jay :

90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. Not enough to cause a Service Engine Soon light but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause No Start, Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

Jay :

I would get a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner first before replacing and see if that helps first.

Jay :

If not then your most likely looking to need to have the MAF sensor replaced.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

Jay :

If not, and your Satisfied with my help, Please Rate me. I hope I have provided you Excellent Service.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!