Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

G37: Hi - Im embarrassed to say that, when my intelligent

Hi - I'm embarrassed to say that, when my intelligent key fob ran out of juice, I was under the impression that I could use the mechanical key in the slot near my left knee for ignition purposes (Infiniti, G37, 2009). I even rtfm and it didn't say anything about inserting the whole fob vs. the key. I knew it wasn't going to 'turn', but assumed there was a chip in the mechanical key to facilitate ignition. No so much. Now it's stuck. The service advisor at the dealership told me that "I'd need to bring it in - that was the brains of the car - and this isn't good!" Got to be a better way than paying $$$....any help is much appreciated.

Clifton B. :

hi you can remove the unit from the car open it up and remove the key

Clifton B. :

open the door there is a cover at the outter side of the dash where the door close pry the cover out then remove one screw from the lower left side of the lower dash cover that is the cover that the key slot is install in then pull the cover off

Clifton B. :

remove the slot then remove the screws and opem the box

Clifton B. :

do not scrap the slot just remove the cover

Clifton B. :

let me know if you have more questions

Customer:

I'm going to go out and give that a try - can you wait or do I begin again if there are questions?

Clifton B. :

just come back and post

Clifton B. :

I will be here

Customer:

I'm stuck at "pry the cover off" - afraid I'm going to rip something apart that shouldn't be. No way to jimmy the key out of the slot?

no you cannot jimmy it out you will brake the slot is this the big cover under the steering wheel and did you remove the screw at the lower left side ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see the big cover under the steering wheel. But climbing under and looking up - I see at least 4 screws holding it on, as well as holding a bracket on for something else. Safe to unscrew all of those and try to pull the cover off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - making a little progress. Side cover had to come off, then the bigger front cover after removing several screws, which exposes the box that the fob slot sits in. Completely unsure how to remove the box - all kinds of screws. I guess I'll take a stab at those screws I can reach.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got the box out - don't have the tools to get the tiny non-standard screws off the box to open it. Dead end. Thanks anyway.

ok your welcome but that tool you can get at sears
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah - I see a bunch of options. Would it be called a Torx screwdriver?

yes