Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

nissan maxima: Hello, I am working on a 02 Nissan maxima with

Hello, I am working on a 02 Nissan maxima with a 3.5 eng, I am trying to get to the timing chain, I am using alldata .com, I moved everything out of the way and took out 22 bolts out of the cover like it shows, then took off the bottom oil pan and looked up and I think I found 2 more that go vertical up into the cover, removed those and still cannot get the cover off, I pry at the top and it starts to come lose but it feels like there is still something holding it at the bottom. The instructions say to pull both upper and lower oil pans and cross member, I am having a hard time believing this, is it true? Thank you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

Clifton B. :

hi

Clifton B. :

you do not need to remove the upper oil pan or the member

Customer :

OK, great, that's what I thought, then what else could be holding it on?

Clifton B. :

there are only two bolts one long 6 inch or so and one short bolt in the lower oil pan to remove. you need to remove the power steering pump, alternator ,crank pulley and belt tensioner remove all the small 10mm bolt then pry the cover off the cover will be stuck from the silicone and there are two centering pins in the lower part of the front cover so you may need to pry somewhat hard to get it off .

Clifton B. :

let me know if you have mope questions please remember to rate my answer thanks.

Customer :

Yes, I got the 2 bolts one long and 1 short in the lower oil pan also power steering pump,alternator,crank pulley and belt tensioner, it coming away at the top but it seems there is something holding it at the bottom, I can`t believe I have to pry that hard to get it off, I am afraid of breaking something.

Customer :

OK, I got the cover to break loose, but now that bolt that holds the motormount in is keeping me from getting the cover off.

Customer :

Ok, I got the cover off, I am looking at the chain, everything looks good, but how do I check the timing to see if it is correct?

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
the pins may be what is holding they get rusted and make the cover hard to come off you need to pry close to the pin on both lower side of the cover
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
you need to use a plier to turn the stud out of the engine then jack the engine up the get the stud pass the frame
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
what is the problem with the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it jumped timing, I lost spark, and it has low compression, I went to turn it over by hand and it will not make full 360 degree turn, turn it one way and it stops, then turn the other way almost 360 and it stops again, do you think it jumped time some how and the valve is hitting the piston?

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
if you cannot turn it all the way over then yes it jump timing and if it did yes the valves are bent
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that's what I thought, Thank you Clifton.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have one last question, even though the car has 230,000 mi. on it the body is good and the interior is good so I am thinking of putting another engine in it, these are those engines from japan with low miles, this one supposedly has 57,000 on it do you know anything about these, are they legit? This one they want $1450 for, what do you think? Thank you for your answer.

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
that is a good price but i know onthing about the engine from japan sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Clifton, I am still in denile about the motor jumping time, the chain feels tight, and I just pulled the tensoner and it looks good and has good spring to it so I don`t understand how or why it would jump time?

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
can you turn the engine one complete turn ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would not say 1 complete turn, it is more likeXXXXXthen 359 the other way.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Josie, I still have a question, I went and got another motor I am putting in the car, an 2002 the motor is a 2005 I think, so I have to change some things around, is this a new question, and should I go ahead and rate clift?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for your reply. This seems to be a different question from what you had before so it may be better to list it as a new question so that your specific needs can be addressed. Please let me know if you would like to close this question.

Best,
Josie~Moderator