Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima that has developed a problem that

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima that has developed a problem that no one has been able to figure out. I go to start it and it is totally dead. No bells, whistles, nothing. Will start when jumped. Battery and alternater check out ok. Worked for 2 days and than wouldn't start again. Pushed out of the garage to e towed and when it hit the end of the driveway where the street started the lights came on and when they tried at the mechanics it started. Can't find the problem. any suggestions?? Have no idea when it will happen again. Please help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

does it nalways start with a jump?

Customer:

yes and it may just start on its own. Picked it up today and it has started ever since but I may go out in the morning and it will be dead.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

sense it always starts with a jump

tims auto repair :

this only means one thing

tims auto repair :

the problem must be the cables

tims auto repair :

you need to make sure that the cables are tight and clean at all 4 point

tims auto repair :

the battery+ and-

tims auto repair :

the engine-

tims auto repair :

and the starter+

tims auto repair :

there is no other reason for this problem

Customer:

everything was off on Fri until it was jolted when the back tires hit the end of the driveway where the street starts, than the lights came on.

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i would think it vibrated the bad connection

Customer:

The cable connects were checked and found to be tight and without problems

tims auto repair :

must check at the engine- and tyhe start+ also

tims auto repair :

but,,sense it always starts with a jump and you know the battery is good

tims auto repair :

i would think the cables are bad at the battery

tims auto repair :

]there is no other reason for it to work with a jump if this wasnt so

Customer:

is there an electrical process that occurs that could have a short

tims auto repair :

i wouldnt tink it was a short

tims auto repair :

if so,,the battery would die

tims auto repair :

and,it wouldnt explain it starting with na jump

tims auto repair :

a

Customer:

ok could the cables be bad somewhere other than right at the battery??

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

they may be damaged and need replaced

tims auto repair :

i can give you a diagram of the starting system,,if you want

Customer:

The car is 12y old will that make a difference on the cables being bad?

Customer:

A diagram would be great.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

31_ns01altim_sm2el-035.png
Full Size Image

EL-START-02 (A/T Models)

30_ns01altim_sm2el-034.png
Full Size Image

EL-START-01 (M/T Models)

tims auto repair :

46_ns01altim_sm2el-044.png
Full Size Image

EL-CHARGE-01

Customer:

thank you

tims auto repair :

again,,if you know the battery is good,,there is nothing else that explains the way you say it is doing ,other than the cables

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.