Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985

2011 sentra: my steering wheel shakes/vibrates at 62mph+ had

my steering wheel shakes/vibrates at 62mph+ had shop roadforced/balanced them because it needed it and i got an alignment only my toe was out in the front. me and mechanic both
together checked the entire front end. everything appeared to be good. i even rotated the front to the back still the problem is there, i took my stock wheels and tires balanced them and put them on today and the problem is still there at 62-70mph its not a violent shake/vibratation but its deff notice at highway speeds. this is on 2011 nissan sentra se-r spec v with 22,000 miles. where do i go from here?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is it noticeable at all at any other speeds except that 62-70mph? If so, it could be something on the front end loose or worn, even a bad tire or slightly bent rim. If not, then it is most likely a balance problem and although it's usually the tire/wheel, it could be anything that spins along with those front tires, such as rotors, bearings, half-shafts and cv-joints if equipped.

I would put the vehicle up on a lift about 1-2 feet off the ground and start the engine, put in drive and drive those front wheel at the speed where it vibrates/shakes and then try to find the problem by looking and listening with a mechanic's stethoscope.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No its not noticeable srry any other speed. Just afraid something will break. Couldn't be tire or wheel I have eliminated that by putting second set of wheels and tires on it and problem still exists. Everything checks out good on front end. What's the best way to check for warped rotors? The only problem with that is my brake should vibrate and it doesn't.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If it was warped rotors, it would only happen while braking.

Get it up on a lift and check for the vibration. I cannot guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last question, from the info I gave you do you think

Its a serious issue? Last two shops say its nothing to worry about.

Thanks for all your help

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I agree for now. It's more than a pain in the neck than an emergency. It's simply something out of balance. A weight could have flown off something. I believe that in order for it to be an emergency, it would have to get worse, to the point where the vibration will get so bad. Then again it will be easiar to find then.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified since 1985