hilltop4527
hilltop4527, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  I am an Owner/Operator with 15 years experience in most all makes and models.
70175367

Nissan/Datsun Maxima: 96 maxima 3.0 i think out of nowhere

96 maxima 3.0 i think out of nowhere just cuts out dash lights flash then on restart a little sluggish for a bit then fine almost like starving for fuel. pulled code for knock sensor and replaced gotta start with the codes right no change, replaced ign switch no change next thought would be fuel filter and or pump but the flashing dash lights point me to a power problem poss ecm any ideas
Category: Nissan
Expert:  hilltop4527 replied 1 year ago.
Hi I see you are having trouble. I will try to help but first I need some info. Which lights flash on the dash it is the park lights or some other lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all dash lights

Intermittent problems such as this are hard to fix. Especially without guessing and changing parts. I would suspect that the crankshaft position sensor is the most likely cause to your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without tripping a dtc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without tripping a dct
Sorry for delay tonight is our church night. Yes this is one of the only sensors that will act up without triggering a code.
The reason is that the engine dies so quickly. Its like you just shut the key off so the pcm doesn't have time to set a dtc. This is different from a mass air flow sensor for example. With the mass air flow the engine would run rough for 30 seconds or so and then maybe stall giving the pcm time to look for fault and set a dtc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

replaced sensor same symptom any other ideas

Sorry for the delay. If the sensor is not the problem it could be the wires going to the sensors. You can start the engine and do a wiggle test to see if you can make the engine stall. Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the test drive it seems fine for about 15 min or so and then it spidered a bit on acceleration then just flame out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiggle test neg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiggle test neg pulled a P1320 code today. Not my car brothers can only work on it here and there
Hi I looked up the code and it means you are losing the primary ignition signal. Check the voltage going to the coils on the red wires I believe you are losing voltage to the coils. This will be hard to pinpoint if it always starts right back up after stalling. I would suspect a loose connection in the red wires somewhere between the coils and the computer (PCM) which is located inside the car below the center of the dash. It could also be the computer but first I would check the wires. If it always starts right back up and gives no time to diagnose you will have to do a wiggle test on these wires. These wires probably go to the fuse box before or a relay before going to the computer so check there also. Let me know what you find.
hilltop4527, Nissan Mechanic
Experience: I am an Owner/Operator with 15 years experience in most all makes and models.