Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Nissan/Datsun Murano SE: I have a 2006 Murano that the CVT

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Murano that the CVT transmission was just replaced in and am having problems with what seems to me is running rough and lurching at lower speeds. With my foot of the gas the car moves forward and seems to pick up speed even going slightly up hill in a parking lot. The service engine soon light came on with cam sensor codes being the problem. I replaced the right side cam sensor as it was easy to access, also replaced the battery because it was original. Car has 89000 miles on it. Took it in to the dealer and they stated it needed both cam position sensors B1 and B2. Car is also having problems starting after a quick trip. Seems to act like its not going to start. This was one of the complaints before I paid 5k to get my transmission replaced. Could this have been the problem all along?

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

NISSAN TECH :

hi the trans on you car is covered under the nissan warranty for 120,000 miles or ten years so at 89000 miles you should not have paid to replace it if you have your paper work you should call nissan at 1800nissan1 you may be able to get some of your money back . you will have to fix the cam sensors because they can cause trans type problem because the trans need the engine speed signal to operate correctly and that signal comes from the cam sensors .

NISSAN TECH :

do you have more questions ?

Customer:

I appreciate your advice but been there done it all. I used to work for Nissan as a service writer. Called Nissan1 many times over the last couple of weeks but because my X husband checked the box on the title that my odometer exceeds its mechanical limits meaning it has over a million miles on it. Nissan is choosing not to cover the transmission. I am still fighting DMV to get the branding off my title and then Nissan may pay me back on the 5k repair. I am concerned that the car didnt need a trans at all and it was probably the cam sensors from the beginning! I have replaced the right cam sensor but the left side seems a bit difficult to get to although it only pays .20 under warranty for both sides. How hard is the left side cam sensor to get to.

NISSAN TECH :

you just have to remove the top part of the air filter box and the intake tube then use a long extension and socket to remove the bolt then pry the sensor out

NISSAN TECH :

it looks harder that it is

NISSAN TECH :

and there is a good chanch that the trans was not the problem

NISSAN TECH :

a bad cam sensor will cause the car to act like ithave a trans problem

NISSAN TECH :

banging into gear

NISSAN TECH :

and head shift from drive to rev and park to rev and drive

NISSAN TECH :

and can also cause a misfire

NISSAN TECH :

it will also cause the vtc to have problems

Customer:

have any suggestions on who i should go to, for questioning there replacement of the transmission??

Customer:

dealer or customer 1

Customer:

the dealer is over me and really is not helpful at all

NISSAN TECH :

at the shop you had it done

NISSAN TECH :

was it the dealer

Customer:

yes it was about 2 hours away from where the car is now

Customer:

they have had the car three different times now....to fix the same problem

NISSAN TECH :

then you have to talk to the service manager at the dealer

NISSAN TECH :

but it's not like they are going to say the trans was not bad

Customer:

the first time they said it was my mass air flow sensor compartment was not closed correctly and my high pressure power steering hose leaked out all my power steering fluid. also up sold me four tires....1600 on that trip

NISSAN TECH :

even if it was ok

Customer:

yea i hear ya

NISSAN TECH :

the hoses do leak on this car

NISSAN TECH :

for the p/s

Customer:

i took it back to them and they said both cam sensors need replaced for 450.00

NISSAN TECH :

the is steep

NISSAN TECH :

the sensor only cause $120

NISSAN TECH :

and it take 30 tops to put them in

NISSAN TECH :

i could se about $300

Customer:

okay well thank you so much for all you have told me. I think I am going to pay the dealership a visit after telling Nissan1 what has happened since i got the car back

NISSAN TECH :

ok you need to call nissan1 and talk to the service or genaral manager at the dealer

Customer:

thanks again i will let you know what happens just for FYI

NISSAN TECH :

ok cool your welcome please remember to rate my answer thanks.

Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay replaced both camshaft position sensors front and back. test drove it and the lurching at slow speeds has stopped. I noticed the rpms at idle went down to 500 is that normal? before the sensors replaced the rpms stayed around 1000

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
it should be at about 700 you may need to get the idle relearn done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you rock did it and it worked now idling running higher where it needs to be. Thanks again!!

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
your welcome