Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

Nissan/Datsun Maxima SE: I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The sunroof keeps opening and shutting on its own speratically while driving. Also, every few weeks I have to put more power steering fluid in my vehicle (even the stuff that is supposed to fix leaks), but it's not working. Also, whenever I shift gears (from Drive to Reverse, or vice versa) it takes a second or two for the car to respond and it shifts with a loud thump that shakes the car. Also, while driving and I am increasing my speed after a stop sign or light, the car idles really high (past 3 or 4 on the guage) and then comes back down. ANd last but not least, the rear windows are a little crazy, on one side I can role window down but it doesn't role up from my door, I have to use the rear door control, and on the other wide it's the opposite, I can't roll it down, but I can roll it up, and the rear passenger can only do the opposite. I don't make alot of money, and I am trying to figure out whats wrong and what I need to fix first, and how much it's going to cost. I also need to take it to a reputable place that won't try to rip me off. I work at a 5-star resort here in Paradise Valley, and I bought the car because of how well Nissan was to work with at our property. Can you help?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

NISSAN TECH :

hi i sthe service engine soon light on

NISSAN TECH :

let me know

Customer:

The engine service light is not on.

NISSAN TECH :

hi do the service engine soon light comes on when you first start the car

Customer:

Hello. No the engine light does not come on when I start the car. I will check to make sure when I get off work today though.

NISSAN TECH :

the problem with the sun roof is the sun roof switch you will have to replace the switch to fix that problem

NISSAN TECH :

the light shoud come on when you turn the key on then go off after about 3 seconds

NISSAN TECH :

if not then the bulb may be bad

NISSAN TECH :

you will need to get the car scan for code it sounds like you have a bad cam sensor

NISSAN TECH :

but you need to get it scan because there are two cam sensors in the car

Customer:

There is several switches up near the earview mirror. ONe is an "open/close" switch which either fully opens or completely shuts the sunroof. and that there is an "On/Off" switch 0 not sure what that does.. Then there is another switch which allowed me to manually open and shut to a distance at my discretion.

NISSAN TECH :

the p/s fluid is most likely leaking from the high pressure p/s hose and you will also have to replace that hose

NISSAN TECH :

all the swicthes come as one unit

NISSAN TECH :

so you do not have to worry about the one to replace because your going to get them all you cant just buy one

Customer:

Ok. So, first I need to have the "cam sensors" looked at and I need to have the "high pressure p/s hose potentially replaced. And the switch unit on the roof would be completely replaced. SOunds like a fun summer on my check book. LOL. DO you have an approx cost of parts and labor for these items? Do you know about the idling of my car and why it thuds whenever I shift gears?

Customer:

Also, are you local here in AZ for me to bring car to you are do you work somewhere around in the world?

NISSAN TECH :

the idle have to do with the sensor

NISSAN TECH :

the sensor is about $200

NISSAN TECH :

the hose about $400

NISSAN TECH :

and the switch about $250

Customer:

Is the sensor is also whats causing the thus and delay of switching gears as well?

NISSAN TECH :

yes

Customer:

Do you know approximate cost of labor, and how long each item would take to replace, and are you here in the Phoenix Valley that I can bring he car to you?

NISSAN TECH :

sorry am in pa

NISSAN TECH :

and the price i gave would be parts and labor

Customer:

got it. Thanks. Is it ok if I bring a copy of this chat to a local mechanic, and would you recommend me going to Nissan service Center or any local mechanic?

NISSAN TECH :

yes you can take it

Customer:

Before I rate your service, is there anything else you think I should have them look at?

NISSAN TECH :

if you have a good local mechanic then you should use him

Customer:

I don't have a good anything unfortunately, I don't know anyone here

NISSAN TECH :

yes have them check the idle to see if it need to be relearn

Customer:

ok. Thank You. XXXXX didn't bug you too much.

NISSAN TECH :

ok then maybe ask a coworker if you have one

NISSAN TECH :

no problem man

NISSAN TECH :

do you have more questions ?

Customer:

Not at this time. I will keep you updated on issues if I have them. Thanks again!

Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it. Nevermind. Thanks again!
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.
ok cool