Donald Knight
Donald Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years

Nissan/Datsun Versa: I have a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback purchased

I have a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback purchased new. Recently the muffler started making very loud rattling noises even when idling. I took it to a shop with a good online rating, and they told me it would be $550 to replace the entire exhaust. The majority of the cost is for the replacement exhaust and a gasket. Does this price sound reasonable? Should I get a second opinion? The Nissan dealership said they could do the repair for slightly cheaper, but the dealership is far so I will probably just have the repair done at the shop unless there is a better option.
I think I would get a second opinion just to have peace of mind but now days the average repair bill is around $500.If the dealer is just slightly cheaper then I believe you are in the "ball park" as to the cost of the repairs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay -- a friend also offered to look at the car for me to possibly do some welding to repair the damage. Is that something worth pursuing, or should I just have it repaired at the shop?

Since I dont know just what is broken I cant really give you an honest answer.If you could clarify just what needs to be repaired I will try to help you with your problem,Don