Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Quest: 2009 Nissan Quest Passenger side front window does not

2009 Nissan Quest Passenger side front window does not work. It is in up position, but when I try and roll it down, it just makes a clicking sound (have tried both driver side and passenger side switches. My son ran into it a couple nights ago, pretending to dive into the car, while it was up. Any ideas on how to get it to work again?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

where does the clicking noise come from?

Customer:

from the window area - motor maybe? I am thinking he unaligned the window?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

how many miles is on the van?

tims auto repair :

does that window get used allot?

Customer:

He is a big kid - 15 yrs, 120 lbs. he claims he barely hit it, but I remember a thud.

Customer:

Miles - 98000 Used alot - yes

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

by looking at the window,,,,does it look ok?

Customer:

yes - perfectly fine

tims auto repair :

ok..

tims auto repair :

sense the window looks fine,,and you do get a click in the door when trying to operate the window

tims auto repair :

i would think your problem is the window bmotor/regulator

tims auto repair :

i dont think it was the boys fault here

tims auto repair :

lol

Customer:

OK - Maybe it was bad timing. What do i need to do?

tims auto repair :

we know the switches work..because of the clicking noise

tims auto repair :

you need to replace the regulator/motor

tims auto repair :

i can give you instructions

Customer:

Is this something my son can do, or is it something I need to have done? How much do you think it will cost?

Customer:

Fantastic!

Customer:

Is it an all day project? Do you have a part number?

tims auto repair :

well,,,i dont know how mechanicly inclined your son is,,,but,,if he has never done this,,i would recomend you have a mechanic do it

tims auto repair :

please stand by

Customer:

He is working on becoming an engineer, and has already graduated high school, so he is smart, but I dont want to get into trouble either. If it is a fairly simple repair, I would love to give him the chance to do it.If it is dangerous, maybe not.

tims auto repair :

FRONT DOOR GLASS AND REGULATOR

Removal and Installation

68_ns09quest_gw67_0001.png
Full Size Image

FRONT DOOR GLASS

Removal
1. Remove the front door speaker.
2. Remove the hole cover over rear glass bolt.
3. Connect the battery negative cable.
4. Temporarily reconnect the power window switch to the door harness.
5. Operate the power window main switch to raise/lower the door glass until the door glass bolts can be seen.
6. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
7. Remove the inside seal.
8. Remove the door glass bolts.

73_ns09quest_gw67_0002.png
Full Size Image

9. While holding the door window, raise it at the rear end to pull the glass out of the sash toward the outside of the door.

Installation
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

FRONT DOOR GLASS REGULATOR

Removal
1. Remove the front door speaker.
3. Connect the battery negative cable.
7. Remove the door glass bolts.

74_ns09quest_gw68_0001.png
Full Size Image

8. Raise the door glass up into the door frame/channel and hold in place with a suitable tool (A).
9. Disconnect the harness connector for the regulator assembly.
10. Remove the regulator nuts, and remove the regulator assembly.

Inspection After Removal
Check the regulator assembly for the following items. If a malfunction is detected, replace or grease it.
- Wire wear
- Regulator deformation

75_ns09quest_gw68_0002.png
Full Size Image

The arrows in the figure show the application points of the body grease.

Installation
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.Refer to "FITTING INSPECTION AND SETTING AFTER INSTALLATION".

Door glass bolts : 6.1 N.m (0.62 kg-m, 54 in-lb)

Disassembly
1. Remove the regulator motor bolts.
2. Remove the regulator motor from the regulator assembly.

Assembly
Assembly is in the reverse order of disassembly.

FITTING INSPECTION AND SETTING AFTER INSTALLATION
- Check that the glass is securely fit into the glass run groove.
- Lower the glass slightly [approximately 10 to 20 mm (0.39 to 0.79 in)] and check that the clearance to the sash is parallel. If the clearance between the glass and sash is not parallel, loosen the regulator nuts, guide rail bolts, and glass and guide rail bolts to correct the glass position.

Setting of Limit Switch
If any of the following work has been done, set the limit switch (integrated in the motor).
- Removal and installation of the regulator.
- Removal and installation of the regulator motor from the regulator.
- Removal and installation of the door glass.
- Removal and installation of the door glass run.

Resetting
After installing each component to the vehicle, perform the following procedure to reset the limit switch.
1. Raise the door glass to the top position.

76_ns09quest_gw69_0001.png
Full Size Image

2. While pressing and holding the reset switch, lower the door glass to the bottom position.
3. Release the reset switch. Verify that the reset switch returns to the original position, and then raises the door glass to the top position.

CAUTION:
Do not operate the door glass automatically to raise the door glass to the top position.

tims auto repair :

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Front Door Window Regulator

Window Regulator

Right

807205Z000$106.87

Left

807215Z000$133.22

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Window Regulator

One Side

B0.60.8
tims auto repair :

it is about an hour job

Customer:

Wow - This is fantastic! Thank-you very much. Can I ask any questions during the repair if we get stuck?

tims auto repair :

you sure can

Customer:

Are you in Houston area? and if so, how much would you charge?

tims auto repair :

but..again,,you may want to have a mechanic replace it

tims auto repair :

it will take about an hour

tims auto repair :

im in east tenn.

Customer:

Bummer! Well, thank-you anyway. I will see what I can find here as far as parts. Again, thank-you!

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.