Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: Nissan Altima 2002 wont start. Went to the store;

Customer Question

Nissan Altima 2002 won't start. Went to the store; came out and unlocked; the light was on the door and power unlock worked. Key in ignition--nothing. No click, no power. Lights dimmed; no horn; no radio. Checked battery; replaced battery; not even a spark on the post. Checked fuses under the dash and all lit up. I'm hoping this is just an issue with the relay, but I wanted to get an expert opinion.

Drove fine, no issues, replaced the engine just a year ago due to the typical issues with the rod bearing seizing my engine post 100K mileage.

Any prompt response would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name's Mike thanks for the question! Step on the brake pedal and see if the brake lights come on. Sometimes the brake switch on these goes out and won't allow the car to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The brakes are tight. I'm a half an hour away, and I had no lights of any kind when I was with my car last night. I also couldn't move it from park to neutral either. Power steering was out, so the steering wheel locked up when I turned it.

I just wanted to check with you guys for the best course before I get it towed and charged an outrageous amount for something I might potentially be able to address in its sitting location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Non-responsive. I was also under the presumption that I get a 10 minute chat with the expert. I'm just pressed for time and only have today to figure out where to go with this.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

I am sorry this expert did not assist you properly. I will do my best to assist you if you need further assistance with this.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same question:

I'll be sure to rate you with the highest marks if I can get this resolved based off of your recommendations.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you don't mind, I will need to ask you some questions on what the car is exactly doing so I can give you proper direction on what may be causing this.

From what it looks like your battery was weak, and you changed it. Since changing it, does the starter not engage to turn over the engine? Do you have remote start in your car?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No remote starter. Changed out the battery with a brand new one--nothing. As I mentioned before, there was not even a spark when I taped the positive. Tried jumping it--no response. No lights, nothing. No click when I try to turn it over, and the brakes are stiff so I can't even put it in neutral.

It's as if something just zapped it and disabled the entire car. That's why I was thinking it was the main fuse or relay, but before I pay 30 for a cab fare and stand in 105 degree Arizona heat and then end up towing it, I wanted to know what the most likely issue was just to save time.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Oh it's like there is no power in the car? If that is correct, then I know your problem.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. No power. I was able to unlock the car with the power lock switch, but when I put the key into the ignition, there was no crank, and then the lights went dim. I thought it might be corrosion, but I checked it and it was good. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy bypassed the circuit to complete the circuit and start it... but then he just removed the corrosion and it was good, so I didn't think that quick fix would work for me. Any ideas would help!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the problem is most likely the Main fusible link. It is located off the positive battery terminal.

It may not look blown if you view it from the top, graphic

But if you remove it, you will most likely find it's blown. This is a dealer item and is about 20 bucks or so. You will need to replace this to resolve your issue.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because it's Nissan, will I have any issues getting this a Pep Boys or AutoZone? And what tools will I need to do this on my own?

I remember the same guy from the video mentioning this as a potential issue too. Thank you so much, you don't know how relieved I feel already.

And for extra info, is his common to happen out of the blue like this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
This is not something that you can get at Pep Boys. You can get it at a Nissan Dealer or a Infiniti dealer.

As far as tools go, a 12 mm and 10 mm socket or wrench is all you need. There is a couple plugs on the back and it comes out.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If your satisfied with my help, please Rate me.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The main fusible link wasn't the issue. I went and bought another one, replaced it, and still... nothing. Strangely, it wouldn't let me remove my key after trying to turn it over. I was thinking I was going to have to leave the key in the ignition, when I was closing the back door and the dinger came on and the light on the door was back on. I got back in and tried to start--nothing.

I'm completely confused and discouraged now.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You know what, double check your connection on the battery. Loosen and wiggle the battery terminals and tighten them down in a slightly different location, and see if that helps. Also make sure you removed the caps that cover the battery terminals. I have seen people leave the caps covering the terminals on.

give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have wiggled them several times, even used a post cleaner to make sure it wasn't corrosion blocking the connection--still nothing. Also, when you say terminals, I think of the posts at the top of the battery, is this the same thing? If so, then I don't have any caps on them. Could it be a bad connection elsewhere? If so, where should I check?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If your having power problems, and it's not the battery, main fusible link, or connection at the battery, I would be checking the negative battery cable where it mounts to the trans and see if that is broke and check the connection at the starter.

What I do is turn the lights on or something, so when I am working if I see the lights come on, then I know I am in a area close to the issue.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took it in and found out it was the terminal on the positive side that was shot. The shop told me that the person who owned it before me, or the dealership, had put a negative terminal on both sides.

Replaced, fixed, and is now running without issue. Just wanted to give feedback in case anyone else ever offers up these symptoms. Thanks again for the direction!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Glad they found the issue. The images I showed you was the main fusible link which is off the positive battery cable. So I guess they rigged it.

In any case, glad your up and running and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!