Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

nissan altima: how do you replace serpentine belt tensioner

Customer Question

how do you replace serpentine belt tensioner on 2001 nissan altima
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

There are two belts on this model 2.4 engine

Jay :

Give me a min let me get you images of the drive belt configuration, and what you need to do and what I do to change the belts..

Jay :

give me a couple mins please

Jay :

Study that image and let me know if you have any questions

Jay :

The one on top with the alternator. After I crack the 12 mm nut loose ( blue arrow ) I then loosen the adjuster ( Red Arrow) then what I normally do is as the bolt comes out, I will leave the socket and extension on it, and tap it with a hammer so it goes in and loosens the belt

Customer:

its the upper idler pulley

Jay :

Which one?

Jay :

The one between the power steering pump and the Alternator?

Jay :

Are you replacing that?

Customer:

yes

Jay :

That is not a belt adjuster.. That is simply a idler pulley..

Jay :

Oh..

Jay :

ok..

Jay :

Well to replace that you need to remove the front engine mount and jack up the engine..

Jay :

I like to take it out with the bracket, cause this way I know for sure the back part of the pulley is seated properly. It has to sit in the notch.

Jay :

Unless you can hold the back of the pulley bolt and slip on the new tensioner..

Jay :

But I remove the whole thing to make sure it's on correctly.

Jay :

But you need a block of wood and a jack to stick under the oil pan. Then you need to remove that engine mount on the passenger side, and jack the engine up to slip that out properly.

Customer:

what about a/c lines

Jay :

I think I just take one 10 mm out that secures the line by the strut tower...

Jay :

I don't remove any lines, I just remove some of the support bolts so the lines can move a little

Customer:

how high do you jack the engine

Jay :

One you see the body of the car move, that is about it..

Customer:

alright Jay thanks for your help

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer