32dmadden
32dmadden, Auto Repairshop owner
Experience:  ASE master tech, L-1 37 years experience
1361311

frontier pick up: 2004 nissan frontier 2.4 starts but will

2004 nissan frontier 2.4 starts but will not idle. Runs if you rev it up over 2000 rpm. no error codes. Changed fuel filter, Mass air flow sensor, fuel pump relay, and the problem is still exactly the same. Starts and just dies unless you pump the gas. Then it will run over 2000 rmp. Sounds like its starving for gas. If you pour gas down the throttle body it will run for a little while then die.

32dmadden :

If the i

32dmadden :

If the idle control does not fix it look for a stuck open EGR valve. Since the valve is only actived when rpm are higher it sounds like it could be stuck. At idle it poulutes the fuel charge and causes it to run rough or just die. Try tapping on it with the palstic end of a screw driver while it is running and see if it gets better. If not it will have to be removed and checked out.

Customer:

I changed out the idle air control valve and It still acts the same. Starts right up and starves out. If I keep pumping the gas it will run at

Customer:

Changed out the idle control valve and the engine is acting the same. It will start right up, run for half a minuit and die. If I pump the gas it will run over 2000 rpm and higher.., Seem to get a little better when the temp rises.. I tapped the egr like you suggested on the top diaphram and and on the body while my son kept the engine running. That did no good. It's been raining hard out here in California and we can work on it a little at a time.

Customer:

Guess we will pull off the egr next... Anything more??

Customer:

Thanks, Johnny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried tapping the egr valve again and still the same? Any tips on removing the egr valve? Or should I check the temp sensor first?

Can you give me some more detail?