Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bumper to Bumper Tech for over 25 years. Access to updated software and equipment
12331040

Maxima: when i start my 2000 Maxima up in the morning after

Customer Question

when i start my 2000 Maxima up in the morning after sitting up all night, it will not move once i put it in drive. The only way i can go is to either waith for it to warm up or take off in 1st gear then 2nd then drive. it only does this after sitting up all night. My engine light recently came on and the dealership said that i need a catalitic converter and that it would cost 1600. any suggestions? (292,000 miles)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.

Scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

O.K. First off... wow! Congrats on 292,000 miles.

Scott :

Now, I am betting you had a catalytic converter inefficiency code. Not uncommon, especially with the miles on the car. To verify this, a temp reading is taken at the front "inlet" of the cat and the rear "outlet" of the cat. If the temp is not 100 deg hotter on the outlet, the cat is not "reacting" properly and is bad.

This test is done at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before the temp reading is taken. A laser thermometer is used.

Scott :

Now, the trans, what you describe is the seals going hard over time and age. As the trans fluid heats up, it will make the seals more pliable; thus reducing fluid bypass and able to increase pressure for shifting.

Scott :

If the fluid quality is poor, a Transmission flush using the recommended trans fluid is recommended With the miles on the trans, and i am assuming it is original, you did good, but this is a Hail Mary pass at best.

Customer:

sounds good. thanks for the info

Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bumper to Bumper Tech for over 25 years. Access to updated software and equipment