Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Let's see if we can get your fixed up today? Thanks
24158749

Sentra: The gas pedal on my 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S would not

The gas pedal on my 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S would not work after stopping at a stop light, and the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I rolled into a nearby parking lot, and turned the engine off. I then restarted the engine, and the gas pedal worked after that. I took the car to a mechanic (non-Nissan dealer), and he ran diagnostics on it. It showed a P2135 (Throttle Position Sensor) message. He cleared the codes and attempted to replicate the problem but couldn't, He didn't want to replace anything without replicating the problem, and he told me that I would need to wait to see if it happens again.

My question is should i go ahead and get the throttle body now instead of waiting for it to happen again? I wouldn't want this to happen particularly if I am in heavy traffic.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, I would have to suggest getting it replaced. As you stated, if you are trying to pull out in traffic and it stops, the repair cost is worth the safet factor. Go ahead and have it replaced as soon as you can. Thanks

Customer:

Should I take it to a Nissan dealer to have it replaced?

Dieseljunky2 :

Yes, that is the only place that has a new and not rebuilt part for this application.

Customer:

Will they replace if without being able to verfiy the code? What is the approixmate cost?

Dieseljunky2 :

You will have to bring paper work from your mechanic to them. If it is only the throttle position ssensor, and there is no damage or wear on the throttlebody shaft, the sensor is about $150 plus an hour labor. If the throttlebody assembly has to be replaced, it is about $625 plus an hour labor.

Customer:

OK, thanks.