tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 years experience 7 of those in a nissan dealership.ASE master tech

Altima SE: How do I reset the TPMS indicator on my dash in

How do I reset the TPMS indicator on my dash in 2007 Nissan Altima. I hit a hard, sharp bump on Highway (Grinding and Re-paving Lip in road...) and suddenly the light began to flash for about 20 secs. then stayed on. Since then, it does the same thing everytime I start the car. Pressures are all up on tires. Owners manual states this type of problem display for the TPMS means the system has malfunctioned, and the system needs to be reset by the dealer.

Hello...if the tire pressure is the same in all the tires ,the light should go off after you drive the vehicle for a few hundred yards , if the light does not go off ,that means you broke at least one of the sensors that goes on the valve stamp inside the tire.

To fix this you will need to replace this sensor and calibrate it with special tool.

Today most of the independent shops have this tool ,do not need to go the dealer and also the sensor is available after market.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, but the manual says the system needs to be reset by a dealer, so will replacing a broken individual sensor, and having it calibrated, also reset the whole system, or will that light just continue to stay on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please refer to the original question I asked when I first opened this session. I realize a sensor may be broken, but I also need further info and an understanding of this system specific to my vehicle and statements in the Owners Manual.
Hello. I agree with conquest you have broken a sensor causing light to stay on. The sensors will need to be checked to verify this. Most shops now have the tools to do this. A new sensor will need to be learned to the vehicle with same equipment. This is same as resetting the system. These sensors are in each wheel and transmit pressure using radio frequency to the computer. The car needs to know which frequencies are yours so it does not pick up another car driving next to you. Just like a keyless remote only opens your car. Hope this helps you understand system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this helps me understand the Reset issue.
How is the broken sensor found? Do the machanics need to remove each tire until they fine the broken sensor, or do they have a method of finding the broken sensor from outside the tire/wheel before dismounting?

Also, if just one sensor is broken, do we have to use a Genuine Nissan part / sensor, or can one aftermarket unit be intigrated with the 3 remaining Nissan units, and work properly? Or Would we have to replace all 4 sensors if we chose an aftermarket product?

It is most likely the wheel that hit the pothole. The wheels are each scanned with a sensor tool no need to break down. Yes an aftermarket sensor can be installed with the other three.
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 21 years experience 7 of those in a nissan dealership.ASE master tech