Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

97 nissan maxima gle: my power windows and locks and sunroof..fuses

Customer Question

I have a 97 nissan maxima gle and yesterday i rolled up my window and all of a sudden my power windows and locks and sunroof no longer work. i checked all fuses and nothing. Im trying to find out whats wrong.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
Do you have a test light or volt meter for testing the wiring?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no i do not, a friend of mines has one but is unavailable right now

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, these all share the same fusible link out under the hood. Try swapping the fusible link with one that has the same rating and see what happens.
Here is a diagram, I highlighted the link that you need to try swapping another with.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is the one highlighted the one that shares the fuseable link?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
The highlighted one is the fusible link. This fusible link provides the power to all the things not working and to their fuses.
So, if all the fuses tested good, it's possible the link blew and it's not sending power.
The issue is if the link is good, then we are going to need a test light, because of the location of the wiring, it is possible the wires have corroded through.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now if the link blew would you recommend me getting this from a salvage yard or dealer.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
You could probably pick up a new fusible link at a parts store. I would also suggest getting a couple because if it blew, it's possible you have a wiring problem. Not always, but good to be safe. You don't need the whole box, just the one link is all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

would that one link if faulty would disable windows and sunroof as well. because my sunroof also doesnt function.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it powers everything you have that isn't working, that is why it's the place to start. Even the power door locks.