Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan: indicator light..light came..wont start..My dealer is closed

My Nissan security indicator light came on and my car suddenly won't start. I think it's the vehicle immobilized system. My dealer is closed for the weekend, is there any way to fix this?

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

The security light it's on solid?

Customer: Yes
Jay :

Did you try inserting the key fob into the fob slot?

Jay :

does the remote still lock and unlock the doors?

Customer: Yes, it didnt change anything
Jay :

Just to be sure, are the brake lights coming on when you step on the brake pedal?

Jay :

Do you know?

Customer: No the remote doesn't seem to work locking or unlocking the doors- tried both keys
Jay :

Oh, they don't.. Did this just start out of the blue?

Customer: The brake light isn't coming on when I step on the pedal
Jay :

oh, they aren't..

Jay :

First make sure your battery isn't dead

Jay :

Hook up jumper cables and then get in the car and see if the brake lights come on. If they don't tap on the brake pedal a number of times and see if the lights come on. If you can finally get them on, Then try to start the car.

Customer: Yes, out of the blue. I had backed my car up to unload some stuff and when I shut the ignition off there was a sound but I didn't think anything of it. Approx 2 hours later is when I went to start my car and got this.
Jay :

What did this sound, sound like?

Customer: btw, was able to lock/unlock the car just now but it didn't make the usual clicking sound
Jay :

Oh, what kind of clicking sound would it make?

Customer: I can't remember exactly, kind of a series of fast beeps I think. I dont have anyone around w/car and jumper cables right now...
Jay :

Fast beeps?

Jay :

Cause if you get a rapid clicking, that is a weak battery

Jay :

But fast beeping sounds odd.

Jay :

Do you have remote start or something in the car?

Customer: Ive heard the fast beep before- similar to the warning when u leave your keys in the car. As for clicking, no it wasn't the low battery sound. I have a new battery- approx 1 month old.
Customer: I don't know if I have remote start-??
Jay :

The remote locking and unlocking is good.

Jay :

Now lets get into the car and before you press the start button

Jay :

Step on the brake pedal

Jay :

and look for the reflection of the brake lights

Jay :

if they don't come on, then tap the pedal rapidly and see if you can get them to come on.

Jay :

once you have the brake lights on, hold your foot on the brake pedal, then try to start the car.

Jay :

you may have a bad brake light switch

Customer: Can't see if there's brake lights or not. I did just have my brake sensor repaired
Customer: I tried locking and unlocking the car again and it's not working very well. Is it possible the battery was drained? When I put the parking brake on, it no longer lights up for example
Jay :

you could also have a dead battery in the remote..

Jay :

but the brake lights should come on if you step on the brake pedal

Jay :

That is the thing you need to really see.

Jay :

If you can try to put something behind the car to see the reflection of the lights

Customer: I have two remotes though, tried both. Pretty sure the battery is still good- checked that too when I had issues a month ago.
Customer: Will see if I can find something to reflect brake lights.
Jay :

try that, and let me know.

Customer: Found a mirror- no brake lights
Jay :

Try tapping the brake pedal rapidly until the lights come on. Then see if it will start if you can get the lights on.

Jay :

The fact that the brake lights are not coming on, could be the whole problem

Jay :

so don't try to start the car till you get those lights on.

Jay :

because they are not coming on, it may put the car in lock mode, which is why the fobs stop working.

Customer: Is there a way I can fix the brake lights myself or does the dealer have to?
Jay :

This is a common problem on the 2007 through the 2010 Altima's.

Jay :

It's a simple brake switch

Jay :

you may be able to get them from your local auto parts store.

Jay :

It's easy to replace as well.

Jay :

it's just a little tight under the dash. That is the only thing

Jay :

The brake switch just twist locks.

Jay :

So you just need to unplug it, then twist it, and it will release so it can be removed.

Customer: When I tapped on the brake a bunch of times just now the brake lights started to come on, but faint. Car still wouldn't start though
Jay :

Then once you get the new brake switch, put it in, set it's adjustment on the switch, then just twist to lock it and plug it in and your good

Jay :

If the brake lights are faint, it could be your battery.

Jay :

but you should have no problem getting the brake lights to come on, so it most likely is going to need a brake switch

Customer: Okay, should I try and get the car jumped or should I replace the brake switch first?
Jay :

wouldn't hurt to see what it does with a jump, just remember to try tapping on the brake pedal to get the brake lights on before you try to start it

Customer: Okay thanks. I've had problems with my brake sensor twice before, but not this.
Jay :

Well if you have any more questions on this, you can always return to this question and I will continue to assist you.

Jay :

or if you like to just let me know how you make out, you can do that also. I like hearing how people make out

Customer: Okay. I'm not sure I can figure out where to find the brake switch, don't even know where to look so I may have to have the dealer take care of this.
Jay :

That's fine. If your not comfortable doing it your self.

Customer: Yeah. Thanks for all the help Jay.
Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!