Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

86 D21: does not want to idle, runs rough..stall..sputters..throttle

86 D21 Z24 electro injection truck does not want to idle, runs rough sometimes, stall coming to a stop sign. At times spits and sputters and need to feather the throttle to get it back home
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does it not do this all the time?

Customer:

No, did a week ago in the evening, started and ran just fine the next morning

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

you may have a failing tps.[.throttle position sensor ]..this will do this sometimes,,,but,,sense the problem is intermediate,,,,,testing it may not help you

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP..............

1986 Nissan-Datsun Truck D21 Hardbody 4WD L4-2389cc 2.4L SOHC (Z24i)
Throttle Position Sensor Locations, Components

28_nisea011008-040.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 40 Electro Injection Unit Parts Location