AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

Nissan: got Check Engine Light Soon..Mechanic says..diagnostic..mins

Customer Question

Hi, I have Nissan Versa 2007 and got Check Engine Light Soon. I got checked P1148, P0031 and the Mechanic says further diagnostic need to be done for which $45/30 mins will be charged. I saw an answer for this stating H20 Sensor need to be replaced. As it is costing $130, could you please suggest how urgent do I need to take action to replace the sensor and what is the side effects if I delay the same
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

amd_hcds :

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.

amd_hcds :

The codes that you have indicate that you have a problem with your o2 sensor. Now is the problem with the sensor itself or the wiring that goes to the sensor? That's what you are paying the mechanic 45 dollars to do.

amd_hcds :

To be honest 9 out of 10 times it is a faulty sensor if the vehicle's wiring harness has not be tampered with or the vehicle has not been in an accident or something was done to the vehicle prior to the check engine light coming on.

amd_hcds :

Now for the side effects that your vehicle will have if this problem is left un-repaired. You will have gas mileage issue, nothing major but something that might be noticable.

Customer:

Ok great , as this was not involved in accident or tampering, so can I go ahead and replace the sensor instead spending $45/30 mins?

amd_hcds :

Also over a long period of time(6 months or more) you might cause some damage to your catalytic converter which is going to be an expensive repair.

amd_hcds :

You could replace the sensor, but your chances of success will be between 80-90 percent.

Customer:

okk .. so I have to probably take quick action...

amd_hcds :

There's a 10-20% chance that you will spend the money for the sensor then it won't fix and you'll ahve to spend the 45 dollars anyways.

amd_hcds :

Plus the sensor is not an easy one to replace, it might be easy but in some cases it might get complicated.

amd_hcds :

Remember that the sensor is in the exhaust system and due to heat it might be tricky to get it out without causing damage.

Customer:

so do you recommend (assuming ur in my shoes) to start with diagnostics and then replace the sensor with good mechanic if that is the problem? Is that right?

amd_hcds :

I would not let it go for more than a month, but you can drive your vehicle until you can get it fixed. but it does need to be fixed. it's not something that you'd want to just leave and forget about.

amd_hcds :

If I was in your shoes I would go the safe route and have your good mechanic do the diagnosis and give you a definite answer with no doubts.

amd_hcds :

Even if you needed to replace the sensor I wouldn't attempt to do it yourself since it might be a little complicated, you are going to pay your mechanic to replace the sensor just pay him another 45$ to make sure that this is indeed the problem.

Customer:

ok how much would mechanic quote for the sensor replacement incl labor appx

amd_hcds :

I work at a dealership so I will give you dealership estimates, Independant repair shops might charge less than dealerships. Usually the dealership will charge you 1 hour diagnosis and 1 hour to replace the sensor so a total of 2 hours of labor. The dealership where I work they charge 110 per hour so if you come to a nissan dealership you're probably looking at around 200 dollars labor.

amd_hcds :

Independant shops will charge less diagnostic time and less per hour labor rate.

amd_hcds :

This is not a complex problem to diagnose and it's not something that you have to do at a dealership.

amd_hcds :

If you know a good shop that you trust and their prices are reasonable you could go to them and have them diagnose and repair the problem.

Customer:

ok great thank you for all the tips, i am finding it was very beneficial checking with you before i go to the shop

amd_hcds :

You're very welcome. if you're satisfied please press ACCEPT so I can get compensated for my time.

amd_hcds :

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Customer:

sure i will do that

Customer:

also could you please suggest the cost of sensor, is it $130

Customer:

?

amd_hcds :

130 dollars sound about right, You could purchase an original sensor from the dealership which will cost more than 130 dollars. But after market sensors are good and would do the job just like the original one would for a lower cost.

Customer:

and finally with the Check Engine Light Codes of p1148 and p0031 these might be the only possible issues right and not anything else right?

amd_hcds :

Don't buy the sensor yourself and take to your mechanic, ask them to supply the sensor so the warranty would be through the shop.

Customer:

ok

amd_hcds :

Code p0031 means that there's a problem with the heater circuit of the o2 sensor which usually indicates a failed sensor. Code P1148 means that the on board computer has lost one of it's major sensor inputs and is running the engine based on a saved strategy and not based on live information from the sensor.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Any other info or suggestions for me before I close

amd_hcds :

Because of the technological advancements in cars these days your vehicle will run perfect even when this major sensor is not working because the computer can compensate and use a saved strategy to run the vehicle perfectly.

Customer:

ok

amd_hcds :

I would take it to your mechanic have them diagnose and repair the vehicle. If the light comes back on it's their problem since they did the diagnosis and repair. Remember this.

Customer:

ok

amd_hcds :

By the mechanic doing the diagnosis and repair you have the peice of mind that you have a warranty from this mechanic that the problem is solved.

amd_hcds :

If you go to a mechanic and tell them to replace the sensor only then the light comes back on, they will not help you anymore because they will tell you that we did not diagnose, but if they diagnose the problem then they are responsible for their diagnosis in case it turns out wrong.

Customer:

ok

amd_hcds :

If you're satisfied with my answers, please press ACCEPT so I can get compensated for my time. If you have any other questions now or later please let me know and I will get back to you. Thank you.

Customer:

thx I will accept and will request to send the chat transcript to my email

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist